Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, Dr wants me to stop breastfeeding 7month old

Default Help, Dr wants me to stop breastfeeding 7month old

HELP, my doctor strongly recommends that I stop Breastfeeding Since I need to take an anti-thyroid medicine, Methamizole 10mg a day.
    My pediatrician said the opposite and go ahead with BF'ing. I'm so confused. I do not want to hurt my baby at all, but I don't want to stop if there is no harm in it.... There have been studies showing it is safe....I need to know if anyone has continued, or discontinued for that matter, while take this drug. I have hyperthyroid due to postpartum thyroiditis, or just possible hyperthyroid, no graves disease.

THanks!

Default Re: Help, Dr wants me to stop breastfeeding 7month old

I would go along with your pediatrician. According to kellymom.com, the medication you are referring to is approved by the AAP and is rated L3 which is moderately safe to take while breastfeeding. Was this your family doctor or ob/gyn that said to stop breastfeeding?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I found this webpage about methimazole:

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2004/04/0...ng-mothers.htm

I think also there is a website called infant risk that can help you figure this out?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Yeah I fouls on google that they've done research and the drug is perfectly safe while bfing.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I don't have any direct experience, but Dr. Hale, the leading expert in medications and breastfeeding labels it as a L3 drug. Here is the link, you'll have to scroll down to get to your meds for his full report.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I will keep bf'ing for now. Only my doctor is very much against it, it feels wierd to not listen to your doctor, but I don't want to stop only unless it is absolutely goingto effect her.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manababy View Post
    I will keep bf'ing for now. Only my doctor is very much against it, it feels wierd to not listen to your doctor, but I don't want to stop only unless it is absolutely goingto effect her.
    I know the feeling of questioning doctors but they're human too, they don't know everything. Trust your instincts.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

call www.infantrisk.org asap. They can help you out!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manababy View Post
    I have found with my own experience and those of my friends that sometimes doctors don't really know so just say to stop nursing my default, or to pump and dump or whatever. Much of the time that is poor advice and they just haven't done the research. I would go with the ped on this one.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Dr probably feels like its easier to tell you to wean than him risk that he might give you meds that might affect the baby. Telling you to wean poses no risk to him.
    SAHM to Timothy 8-8-08 Keegan 4-27-11 and Rowen 3-27-13