Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relactating a formula fed baby at 10mths

Default Re: Relactating a formula fed baby at 10mths

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I know it's hard to adjust your dream of the "perfect" breastfeeding relationship- but breastmilk is great no matter how you give it to the baby. If it comes straight from the breast, terrific! If it comes from the bottle, wonderful! If it's mixed in with solids or with Neocate, hurray! No matter how your baby gets it into her body, breastmilk is good for her. And producing it is good for you.

What can we say to encourage you, Mama? You sound pretty down. I know I would be, too.
    Heh.. You could come to my house and tell me if I've got the pumping right. Or I could upload a video of how my breasts look to somewhere and you could tell me if I need a smaller/bigger flange.. or you could send someone in the UK who is the equivalent of an IBCLC to my home to work with me. Other than you wonderful ladies on here, I feel like I'm going this alone.

Today my milk is salty. :'( This is not mastitus as I don't have any of the other symptoms associated with mastitus. I do, however, know that salty milk is a sign that the milk is drying up.. It's called 'weaning milk'.

Tell a secret? My breasts are big enough for me to actually suck on them myself. It's not such a great thing to talk about, yeah, but I've been doing it today.. just three or four times for about 5 minutes on and off.. and already there is an improvement. I've had this Symphony pump for a few months and I feel like I'm paying for a useless piece of equipment because I don't know if it is even working, or if the flanges are the right size.. or if I'm pumping correctly etc. I JUST WANT SOMEONE HERE TO HELP. My nearest LLL meeting is a 45 minute drive away from me, and I have no car.

Another hiccup I've run into since my milk turned salty is that DD will no longer go near my breast. AGAIN. This time I think it's because of the taste which I don't blame her! I can't stand it either, but I'll suck because it's increasing the supply faster than anything else I've tried.

My Pumping Pal shields are waiting for me at Parcelforce and to release them I have to pay an extra £18 on top of the £24 I've already paid toward the postage. The company was kind enough to give the set to me for free, save postage. I'M BROKE. I've paid out SO much already! Where do I get all this money from, just to keep a bit of milk in my breasts that DD doesn't really want anyway!!

I'm very determined. This is GOING to work. I'm going to keep nursing myself (sounds so weird and also a bit eew) but I'm going to do it. I don't care what other people say. If it's possible and it's working, then so be it!!

Oh and by the way.. I tried the SNS a couple times. I can't get the damn tube to go anywhere near my nipple, even after taping it on just above my areola like it shows in the picture. I have no idea how other mothers do it, but as soon as I lift my breast (cos they flop, ya know?) the tube lifts as well and moves away from my nipple.

DD won't take my milk anywhere at the moment. Not even dripped into her mouth from my breast or finger. She thrashes. I think it's the taste as I mentioned before.. She USED to take it from a bottle, when there was actually enough to give her. At the moment if I pump I don't even get a drop in the bottle. Not a smidge. Not even a smear. At times it doesn't even drip from my nipple onto the pump horn.

Anyway, I'm sad and I'm tired so I'm heading to bed. G'nite ladies.

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

I can come to your house? Really? Awesome! The most time I ever spent in the UK was a couple hours in between flights at Heathrow.

I'm sorry about the salty milk and decreased yield. That must be really discouraging. But how cool that you have found a way to remove the milk- even if it's a little "atypical." Think how many mamas would give their freakin' eyeteeth to have your special skill, instead of having to rely on the pump! If you get tired of doing the milk removal thing yourself, you might get your spouse/partner to do it- I have read about mamas doing that, and I am sure it happens more often than people guess.

Couple things about the flanges-
    - If your nipple is rubbing painfully against the side of the collection tube, the shields are probably too small.
    - If your nipple is shooting in and out of the tube, and you're feeling a break in the suction when your nipple is released, the shields are probably too big.

Sleep tight, better luck tomorrow.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How is it going?

Sorry it took so long to respond, I teared up a little at your frustration. . .I know how awful it feels even though you've gotten ALOT farther than me

I tried similar things to what you did, though it was very hard for me and I could not. Just wanted to say that you are SOOOO committed.

I don't have ALOT of advice, but I think it's really important that you take care of yourself and *try* to enjoy DD no matter how she is fed. This is much harder than it seems. . .there are some days where I just plain hate feeding my son and dread each bottle.

One thing I have found is that I always pump a good amount when I watch videos with my long distance friend over the internet. I know that saying "relax!" is the worst advice, but it's really important to care for your psyche.

Do what you can manage. Tell yourself "I am a breastfeeding mother" over and over. That helps me get through another day.

I'm sure you have tried already, but many people can get more with hand expression than a pump.

Will she chill by your breasts if you aren't trying to get her to nurse? That's good stimilation even if just just laying in between them. And it feels good

I wish I had some kind of answer, I hope the bigger flanges help, and I hope you let us know how it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I can come to your house? Really? Awesome! The most time I ever spent in the UK was a couple hours in between flights at Heathrow.
    LOL! You're welcome any time.

An update of sorts, I suppose. I've started taking Domperidone now on my midwife's advice. The doc was clueless (AS USUAL) when it came to dosage, so I'm going by the midwife, again. So far I have managed to get rid of the salty milk and I'm back to the sweet stuff, and at a sitting I'm managing about a half ounce. And that's with hand expression too. I start on one breast and express until it's only JUST dripping, then move to the other breast, and then repeat the process as much as I can or until the milk runs out. Then.. and here's the funniest part.. I give a good suck on each one to make sure the milk is all finished. Then I pop the pump on for an extra 5-10 minutes and let it do its thing.

DD still won't suck on my breasts. I think it's been so long now that she's forgotten what it is like. I've tried nipple shields but she just bites them, and even when put over her bottle teat she refuses to suck. She just rips them off my breast.. The SNS hasn't even been used yet as there's not much point. I have days where I can get DD to give one or two sucks, but that is at random and I'm never prepared. I wish I was...

All in all I'd say I've accomplished something. I've started to get my supply back. Now all I want is to be able to express enough to give DD at least 2 feeds of bm a day. That will make me happy. At the moment it's taking 3 days to get 1 feed.. and that's just a small one. Ah well. This takes time, and I think that's the hardest lesson I've had to learn in all of this.

My Pumpin Pal breast shields come tomorrow. I cannot wait. They've been EXPENSIVE and HARD to get and have taken AGES to get here. I'm REALLY hoping they've been worth it! They are probably the only pair of Pumpin Pals in the UK..

Anyway, it's bath time for the sprogletts, so I'll come check back here later.

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!