Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactating a formula fed baby at 10mths

Default Relactating a formula fed baby at 10mths

Hello ladies..

I've posted here loads before, and you're probably getting tired of hearing about my 'issues' but I figured I'd try one more time as I've learned something new lately.

After talking to someone who knows a lot about relactation and pumping and nursing strikes, I've come to wonder if DD is not too used to her formula and if I can ever get her back to the breast, because she now thinks milk tastes like Neocate and not like breast milk. I've tried and tried and tried everything under the sun and my pumping is not going so well.. so I'm now desperate to put her back on the breast.

I have a few questions:

1. Can (ah crap my mind's gone blank) .. eerm.. Oh YES! Will DD go back to the breast if I just leave the formula out completely and wait? She'll do a LOT of screaming and I HATE the thought of putting her through it.. but what else is there left to do? I've been told babies will not starve themselves, and on that basis she should eventually give in and take the breast.. but is that not cruel?

2. Does anyone know where I can get an SNS from in the UK? I've got bm.. but it's not a lot, certainly not enough for a full feed for DD. I'd have to supliment with her formula at my breast as I can't give her donated milk. She's cows milk, soya and nut free..

3. Which brings me to my last question. IS there any bm out there that's been donated and is dairy, soya and nut free? If there is, I'll take it! Lol. It's just a case of knowing where to get it from.. Mum said I shouldn't have to pay for it either. Is that true?

Anyway.. Thanks for listening. Again.

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

Default Re: Relactating a formula fed baby at 10mths

I was just going to bump up your thread and ask how it was going If it helps I'm thinking of you and hoping it works out for both of us.

There is a program called Eats on Feets that connects mothers who are interested in donating with recipients. The breastmilk is free. Maybe they have a UK chapter?

Also! My LC said that some people can homemake an SNS? Although I think you need a starter SNS to do that. . .

Another LC mentioned bottlefeeding my son near my bare breast and covering the bottle with the cloth. So they can think breast=food. I just started doing that today though.

I bet more people will have some helpful advice!!!!! Keep trying

There's definitely an Eats on Feets UK. Look them up on Facebook, they're great at helping moms get matched up with donors.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Another LC mentioned bottlefeeding my son near my bare breast and covering the bottle with the cloth. So they can think breast=food. I just started doing that today though.
    Hrmm! That's not a bad idea. I'll give it a try. Can't hurt. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Eats on Feets thing. And yeah, you have to buy the tubing or it doesn't work..

Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!

Would the shipping be cheaper if I mailed it in an envelope to you? Not sure how exactly it could work but you could PM me and I wouldn't mind.

I don't know you, but I hate the idea of you not being able to obtain things just because you aren't in the US.

Would the shipping be cheaper if I mailed it in an envelope to you? Not sure how exactly it could work but you could PM me and I wouldn't mind.

I don't know you, but I hate the idea of you not being able to obtain things just because you aren't in the US.

PMed you!

I'm off to Facebook to find the Eats on Feets. Thanks!!

I'm curious about bbmomma's first point as well. . .I think I read on Kellymom that letting them get hungry is NOT a good idea to get them back to the breast, but I'm not sure, especially since the "usual" advice doesn't seem to be working.

Don't want to seem like I'm harboring cruel thoughts, but if anyone had experiences where it did work, it seems like the benefits might outweigh the initial discomforts.

Again, I don't think either of us really want to "starve" our LOs! Just wondering what other things might work.

I'm curious about bbmomma's first point as well. . .I think I read on Kellymom that letting them get hungry is NOT a good idea to get them back to the breast, but I'm not sure, especially since the "usual" advice doesn't seem to be working.

Don't want to seem like I'm harboring cruel thoughts, but if anyone had experiences where it did work, it seems like the benefits might outweigh the initial discomforts.

Again, I don't think either of us really want to "starve" our LOs! Just wondering what other things might work.
    Anyone got any more thoughts on this? I've reached the point where my milk has turned salty because it's not getting used enough! I plan on going back to 1.5hrly pumping sessions but I want to know if it's worth it! I mean, what's the point if she won't go back and drink the milk once it's there??

I know it's hard to adjust your dream of the "perfect" breastfeeding relationship- but breastmilk is great no matter how you give it to the baby. If it comes straight from the breast, terrific! If it comes from the bottle, wonderful! If it's mixed in with solids or with Neocate, hurray! No matter how your baby gets it into her body, breastmilk is good for her. And producing it is good for you.

What can we say to encourage you, Mama? You sound pretty down. I know I would be, too.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbmomma View Post
    Anyone got any more thoughts on this? I've reached the point where my milk has turned salty because it's not getting used enough! I plan on going back to 1.5hrly pumping sessions but I want to know if it's worth it! I mean, what's the point if she won't go back and drink the milk once it's there??
    It would probably work best if your baby associates the breast with comfort. That may be more important than the food even, at least at first. Most mothers find that when their babies are extremely hungry it can actually be harder to get them to latch.

The SNS is a great first step to try. That way you've got food and comfort going for you.

I don't think pumping is ever a wasted effort. It sounds like you're having a hard time with it though. Does it help at all to remind yourself it's only temporary? And it's that much more of your milk your baby is going to get, one way or another.

Does your baby take your millk in a bottle? I'm wondering... if you suspect your baby is used to the taste of the Neocate, could you try adding your milk to it, gradually changing the proportions so she's getting more and more breastmilk?

You sound like a very dedicated mother.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--