Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to burp baby? During or after feeding?

Default When to burp baby? During or after feeding?

When is it best to burp the baby? Should you stop every once in a while feeding or wait unit the baby is done?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: When to burp baby? During or after feeding?

With my DD burping came naturally after she fed, however sometimes you can tell when it seems baby starts to lazy suck as if she is full, but wants more.. a little hard to explain, but that was my cue she needed a burp Once the burp came out, she would gobble up the rest. HTH

I should also mention that you could try burping between switching breasts as well
    Last edited by okpat; October 24th, 2006 at 08:58 PM. Reason: adding more

You'll sort of have to learn this one from your baby. If he/she feeds smoothly and quietly you can burp at the end. If you have a strong let down and the baby gulps or relatches a lot or even if you notice them spitting up a lot or being generally fussy and gassy, then burp every five minutes or so. I had to burp my daughter after a few minutes because she fell into such a deep sleep at the end that I couldn't get a burp out! My son can go until the end and the burp usually just slips out as I lift him to my shoulder. Take your cues from your little one.

Tricia

Usually we burp after...unless as pp mentioned, LO seems squirmy and fussy at the breast. Usually he has a burpy!

as the pps stated, you'll need to read your baby's cues. as a newborn, it may be good to burp baby in the middle of a feeding (or more, if needed). once your baby is older (3 months or so), you should know by then if he/she needs to be burped in the middle of a feeding or if burping afterwards is sufficient. i burp my 5-month old dd at the end of a nursing session...but when my mom feeds her EBM through a bottle, she may burp her in the middle of a feeding if she starts to get fussy.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

In the beginning (first 2-3 months) we would burp before nursing, during (before switching to the other side), and afterward. LO was very gassy so he needed it this often. Now (6 mo), we just burp him afterward and it does the job.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Is it ok that my baby hardly ever burps?! I try and burp her but she doesn't?