Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clobetasol ointment for nipple pain/swelling?

Default Clobetasol ointment for nipple pain/swelling?

Hi ladies, I've been battling plugs and blebs since January. http://forums.llli.org:80/showthread...imama+swelling

I developed this painful and swollen piece on my one nipple. It's really painful and has been for close to a month. I finally went to the ob, while I still have insurance, and she did an exam and said she was surprised not to find a mass. She was expecting to send me for more images, but in the absence of any mass - she really didn't know what to make of it. So she gave me clobetasol ointment (a steroid) and suggested ice and Advil for the swelling. She said I may just always have this while I'm nursing?!?

She did, however, give me high praise for nursing to and past one.

Anyway, what do you think of this?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Clobetasol ointment for nipple pain/swelling?

I never heard of this, maybe someone else will chime in. Did hse say it was safe to use while nursing?

So nice to get a compliment about extended BF...WTG!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

UPDATE: I've been emailing with an IBCLC at Medela regarding this, and I told her about the Clobetasol. I didn't bother to check Hale since the doctor gave this to me for a breastfeeding-related issue, assuming, you know, it was OK.

Hale actually says clobetasol SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER be used on the nipple.

I'd like to that doctor. It's a good thing I wasn't very good about using the ointment. I noticed when I did use it that my nipple felt numb. Weird, huh?

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I guess this is PROOF that I need to move on to a different practice. I get that the doctor is human and will make mistakes, but I was putting a cream on my nipple where my child EATS that is STRICTLY not advised. And I trust Hale, because I feel like he is NOT the type to totally forbid very much, kwim?

Christine

oh no....!

Have you tried APNO? You can make a home version if you can;t get a prescription. my doc would never give me one so I made it at home and it worked wonders for so many issues.

If your physician will not call in the APNO for you or your insurance will not cover compounded medications, you can still take several over-the-counter ingredients and come up with a similar ointment. Simply take equal parts of an antibacterial ointment, an antifungal cream, and some cortisone (Cortaid brand is fine) and mix them together to make one ointment.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I have some APNO, which I think is actually the old recipe of Dr. Newman's. It wasn't working at all. So, that's why I went to the doctor.

It's not hurting as much anymore since I haven't been pumping and only nursing (post layoff with today being the exception, as I sent DD to the babysitters so I can get some writing done today).

It's weird. I'm going to an LLL meeting tomorrow to see what a leader makes of it.

I'm pretty PO'ed at the doctor.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I have some APNO, which I think is actually the old recipe of Dr. Newman's. It wasn't working at all. So, that's why I went to the doctor.

I'm pretty PO'ed at the doctor.
    Does it have nystatin in it?

I would be too!!!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Does it have nystatin in it?
    Yes.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Yes.
    That may be why it wasn't working. Nystatin is in a sugar suspension, which of course yeast feeds on. Dr Newman doesn't use nystatin in his APNO anymore, but I know other docs do. When I had yeast issues my nipples were SO SWOLLEN. But then when I used the APNO (or my homemade version rather) the swelling went down.

Hope you get some relief soon mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post

Have you tried APNO? You can make a home version if you can;t get a prescription. my doc would never give me one so I made it at home and it worked wonders for so many issues.
    I'll whip up some of the homemade stuff. I also startedputting Motherlove's thrust stuff on it thinking it couldn't hurt. G-d help me if I have to do the thrush treatments again with DD. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Christine