Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tantrums? 14 months

Default Re: Tantrums? 14 months

My cherub is under the metamorphosis as well The best way to curb the banshee shrieking is redirection. But you gotta be sneaky about it. If he wants the toothpaste and you say "No, but here's my hairbrush you can have" it's probably going to hurled at you with a high rate of speed Instead, when he's insistent on the toothpaste, just walk into another room and find something else and sit down on the floor playing with it - the better and more convincing your psycho laughter is the more likely he'll come investigate just what it is you're smokin' Before you know it he toddles out of the bathroom and forgets the toothpaste (which you now hide in the medicine cabinet so he doesn't get reminded later when he sees it again).

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

I think you need to not look at it as being mean. You are teaching him that there are limits and that he can't do whatever he wants. That's part of growing up. We also avoid saying no all the time, we try to offer an alternative activity and just remove him from the situation. There usually still is a fit, but he moves on eventually.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

This thread made me think of this pic

Max's beginning of destructo man
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Oh my. Yes, ds started with the head banging around 11 months. His ped even got to see a lovely shrieking head banging fit at his 12 month appt. As far as not saying no, sometimes you just have to. I hate to have my baby sit and scream for 20 minutes because he wants something he can't have, but he just can't do every little thing he wants, usually I have to say no for safety reasons. For example today he sat and screamed his lungs out because he wanted to get in the sink and he couldn't. I tried multiple things to get his attention somewhere else but he is so stubborn so I just told him I was sorry but he could not get in the sink and he could come over to the living room if he wanted. Well he sat and cried reaching for the sink for another 20 minutes before giving up. It was not that I was being mean to him, but he couldn't sit up there because it is dangerous, he could turn on the hot water and burn himself, he could fall off the counter, etc. I just have decided that it is his choice and if snacks and drinks and a toy don't draw him away from what he wants, I just have to accept that he will be screaming for a while and hope that he changes his mind.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

ha. all you ladies are making me feel like max is normally crazy right now. Thanks for that.

The funny thing is that the toothpaste and toothbrush ARE hidden. He just knows where the cupboard is and points incessantly. Gah.

Jenna, that is Max's bathroom EVERY DAY. I don't even stop that because he's quiet . Toilet paper is our friend.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

your friend until he stuffs it down the toliet and flushes...then the plumber is your friend.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleiandjmomma View Post
    your friend until he stuffs it down the toliet and flushes...then the plumber is your friend.
    luckily, our plumber is our friend and he lives across the street
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Hmmm DS started footstomping howling tantrums at 11 months. DD did the throw yourself on the floor wailing at 11 month (and she is either less distractible or I have less time and energy to distract her).

I always advise the happiest toddler on the block book for this stuff. Even if you cannot get into the toddlerese (I only did a modified version) there is lots of good stuff in there.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    This thread made me think of this pic

Max's beginning of destructo man
    Wow, I've never seen baby Max!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    Crap. I thought I was going to have the world's first perfect, charming little toddler boy.

*Cough cough.* "Oh, what was that? Oh, right! Yes, it's normal."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.