Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tantrums? 14 months

Default Tantrums? 14 months

do 14 month olds have tantrums? Max has never really freaked out before for no apparent reason. Today he is literally banging his head against the floor. He wants his toothbrush and toothpaste, he wants this, he wants that and is bascially inconsolable. Is it uncommon for babies this young to throw actual fits -- i swear to god, if he could have punched me today he would have. He's with Mima now and I'm still sweating . What's going on???
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Default Re: Tantrums? 14 months

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh, that's about when Silas started. I remember wondering where my sweet angel learned to be such a jerk. It sounds totally normal to me Julia. Sorry mama. Welcome to the toddler club!!!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Yes yes they do.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

ha. thanks for the warm welcome to toddlerhood, colleen. I told my Mom he was having a rough day and she said, "not my Maxwell!" He was at her house in less than three minutes . Of course, Mima's snuggles have magic powers and his crocodile tears were drying up by the time I left (er, raced out of) the house.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh, that's about when Silas started. I remember wondering where my sweet angel learned to be such a jerk. It sounds totally normal to me Julia. Sorry mama. Welcome to the toddler club!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleiandjmomma View Post
    Yes yes they do.
    I'm so sorry. I remember people telling me it was a good thing, a sign that he was developing autonomy, blah blah blah. I hated when people told me that. So I'm not telling you that--it sucks, and makes you wonder who took your sweet baby and replaced him with a shrieking demon.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    I'm so sorry. I remember people telling me it was a good thing, a sign that he was developing autonomy, blah blah blah. I hated when people told me that. So I'm not telling you that--it sucks, and makes you wonder who took your sweet baby and replaced him with a shrieking demon.

This exactly. I've never once been inclined to raise my voice with him and today I wanted to lock myself in the bathroom and pull out my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    This exactly. I've never once been inclined to raise my voice with him and today I wanted to lock myself in the bathroom and pull out my hair.
    Yeah it's kinda heartbreaking really. *I* might start developing your "calm down mommy" stress plan now. Toddlers are CRAAAAAAAZY
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I think I started a thread about this not long ago. I'd look for it if I wasn't on my iPhone. But yes, it starts this early. I think between 1 and 2 is the hardest age for us so far. They can't communicate well, they want to do everything but there are things they just can't do. Every day is a battle around here. People say 3 is hard, but at least I can reason with my 3 year old most of the time. The only thing you can do is distract, redirect, avoid situations, but honestly that doesn't even work all the time because sometimes you just have to do things that are going to cause a fit. It's frustrating but totally normal.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Yeah it's kinda heartbreaking really. *I* might start developing your "calm down mommy" stress plan now. Toddlers are CRAAAAAAAZY
    Crap. I thought I was going to have the world's first perfect, charming little toddler boy.

Okay - so this has just started happening: he'll point to something (today it's toothbrush and toothpaste) and just NOT stop whailing until he has his toothbrush, with toothpaste on it. That's fine, but I'd rather him not injest a tube of toothpaste a day. How do you not bow to their every little demand without being mean? I don't like saying "no" all the time. I don't want his most favorite word ever to be "NO!" kwim? I'd like to figure out how to set some limits without being over the top with rules and such. You've all got that figured out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    Crap. I thought I was going to have the world's first perfect, charming little toddler boy.

Okay - so this has just started happening: he'll point to something (today it's toothbrush and toothpaste) and just NOT stop whailing until he has his toothbrush, with toothpaste on it. That's fine, but I'd rather him not injest a tube of toothpaste a day. How do you not bow to their every little demand without being mean? I don't like saying "no" all the time. I don't want his most favorite word ever to be "NO!" kwim? I'd like to figure out how to set some limits without being over the top with rules and such. You've all got that figured out, right?
    suuuuuurreee....

I put things out of sight if they are becoming a problem. I also installed baby locks on all the cupboards and drawers that have said items in them. I never put them on untill ds2 was just 10ish months. He is...umm...persistant...
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!