Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: How to organize frozen milk

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: How to organize frozen milk

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    I used to use Lansinoh bags, and I would put 10 together in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and the write the dates of the milk on the outside of the bag.
    This is what I do too
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

    Watch Your Language

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: How to organize frozen milk

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    What I found to work the best was to freeze them flat, then stack in a gift bag. The standard size ones perfectly fit the lansinoh bags. I would write the dates for the milk on a piece of masking tape on one side of the bag, so it was easy to see which to use first. You can then cut a slit towards the bottom of the bag so that you can easily pull out the oldest milk first. I tried ziploc bags and just standing up in tupperware containers but I could neatly store much more milk using the gift bag method.

    (BTW I didn't come up with this, I think I found it on an old thread when I had been wondering the very same thing )
    I'll have to try this. I have over 500 oz already stashed (250 bags of at least 2 oz each), and it's sort of taking over. The gallon sized zip lock bags stuffed full of bags don't stack quite right, kwim.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: How to organize frozen milk

    I found 2.5 gallon ziplock bags at Target yesterday. Going to give those a whirl and see how many shingles I can get in one.

    DH pointed out that part of the reason for double bagging in a ziplock is to prevent freezer burn when I mentioned trying the gift bag thing. Since we aren't tapping into the freezer stash, we need to do what we can to protect it, as it may be months before we need it (if we ever need it). He's always so logical.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: How to organize frozen milk

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    DH pointed out that part of the reason for double bagging in a ziplock is to prevent freezer burn when I mentioned trying the gift bag thing. Since we aren't tapping into the freezer stash, we need to do what we can to protect it, as it may be months before we need it (if we ever need it). He's always so logical.
    I was concerned about this too but I never got any freezer burn. I know that I rotated milk that was at least 4 months frozen. I did store in a deep freezer and I was VERY careful about getting as much air out of the milk bags as possible before closing.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: How to organize frozen milk

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    What I found to work the best was to freeze them flat, then stack in a gift bag. The standard size ones perfectly fit the lansinoh bags. I would write the dates for the milk on a piece of masking tape on one side of the bag, so it was easy to see which to use first. You can then cut a slit towards the bottom of the bag so that you can easily pull out the oldest milk first. I tried ziploc bags and just standing up in tupperware containers but I could neatly store much more milk using the gift bag method.

    (BTW I didn't come up with this, I think I found it on an old thread when I had been wondering the very same thing )
    THIS IS PERFECT!!!

    I found an old banana republic bag that is the exact same dimensions as my storage bags. The opening in the bottom works perfectly. Now I am going to get my crafty husband to figure out a way to shore it up so it lasts - either that or go to BR and beg additional bags off them
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: How to organize frozen milk

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    I was concerned about this too but I never got any freezer burn. I know that I rotated milk that was at least 4 months frozen. I did store in a deep freezer and I was VERY careful about getting as much air out of the milk bags as possible before closing.
    I prefer my baby to get fresh, not frozen, and I produce way more than he needs for the day, so he always gets fresh (<12 hours old) and am saving the extra for the future (in case I decide to stop pumping or lose my supply, and if I don't use it, a friend will need it), so rotation is sort of hard for us. And storing it in a second bag really made a difference...I had some stored for over a year that, when I thawed it, tasted and smelled just as fresh as the day I put it in there. But if you are just stashing enough for a few days or a couple weeks, heck yeah, the gift bag thing would be awesome. It's a great idea. I was kind of annoyed with DH when he pointed it out. And it's too expensive to just use two milk bags. They cost about 20-30 cents each. I'm already spending about $30-50 a month on bags.

    You could also get a narrow box and do something similar but be a little more sturdy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •