Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to organize frozen milk

Question How to organize frozen milk

I freeze my milk in Nuk (formerly Gerber) storage bags. With my older baby, I would put those bags in a larger ziploc bag - after freezing flat of course. I didn't really like that system, but couldn't think of anything better.

How do you guys do it?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: How to organize frozen milk

I've got playtex dropin liners lined up in my freezer. That was my pump. I don't pump so often anymore tho... I can fill a few more liners, that's how many rings I have left.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I have a long rectangular container (I think it was originally meant to hold ice) that I place the medela bags in. It keeps them organized and I don't have to worry about them falling everywhere. If you have the space you can do the same by getting a plastic rubbermaid container.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

I used to use Lansinoh bags, and I would put 10 together in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and the write the dates of the milk on the outside of the bag.
    Last edited by @llli*Samiha; February 24th, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I like to freeze a weeks work then add up the ozs and put in huge ziplock freezer bag. put the total ozs on front and go order use first, second third and so on. so whoever is getting it out knows which freezer bag to use first.
    Tara SAHM to McKenna 11/9/04 7 lbs 4 oz
    Dally 5/2/07 6 lbs 4oz Cash 8/18/08 6lbs 15oz and Wilder 12/2/10 8lbs 5oz. We and are in the middle of switching to CD and WE LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT

I'm pretty low-tech. I would mark the date and amount on the bag and freeze them flat. Once they were frozen, I'd stand them up in a box, oldest bags in the front. That way, my husband would use the older stuff first and he didn't have to think.

That reminds me, I've got to pump today. DH and I are having our first date night on Monday since DD2 arrived!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I put all the frozen bags into a larger zip top freezer bag and put the month and how many oz were in it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    I used to use Lansinoh bags, and I would put 10 together in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and the write the dates of the milk on the outside of the bag.
    Yep, this is what I did too... and I froze them flat like shingles like the OP did.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I actually store in bottles. I put the date on a sticky post its (some that are long, narrow, and pull off easily) or I have been using a piece of tape (with my first I used only masking tape with this baby I have used the post its and clear tape).

I use a white container (actually from my lunch bag) to organize in the freezer. Since the container is tall I put the oldest in the top and newest in the top.

What I found to work the best was to freeze them flat, then stack in a gift bag. The standard size ones perfectly fit the lansinoh bags. I would write the dates for the milk on a piece of masking tape on one side of the bag, so it was easy to see which to use first. You can then cut a slit towards the bottom of the bag so that you can easily pull out the oldest milk first. I tried ziploc bags and just standing up in tupperware containers but I could neatly store much more milk using the gift bag method.

(BTW I didn't come up with this, I think I found it on an old thread when I had been wondering the very same thing )