Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping at night

Default pumping at night

I'm not sure where to put this question, so here goes. I have been getting up in the night to pump for quite some time because my twins sleep from 8-4 every night. I try to get up about 1 am. The last few nights however I have been getting up and getting my pump hooked up then I fall asleep and end up pumping for over an hour or more. I got 6.5 ozs last night. I have only ever been able to pump about 4 ozs during that session.
    I have always had to supplement my boys with some formula. Right now they are getting one 4 oz bottle of formula a day and the rest is breast milk while at daycare. I nurse them while I am home.
    My question is should I be trying to make the boys eat at 1 am instead of pumping? I use that milk as part of the milk they receive at daycare everyday. Up until the last few nights of falling asleep I have only been able to pump about 14-16 ozs between 5 sessions. Now I am able to pump about 20 ozs.
    On the weekends when I am home with them, I let them nurse on demand and I still end up having to supplement with at least 1 4 oz bottle.

Default Re: pumping at night

What makes you think you have to supplement when you are nursing on demand? It's very possible, that as a working mom, they are just looking for the comfort of mom and not actually hungry. I say let them sleep and use that session to pump for when you are gone.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Default Re: pumping at night

I have to supplement because I will nurse them all day long when I am with them, but by evening they are really fussy and wont even try to latch on. Their diaper count is also pretty close to being on the low side. During the week they have 6-8 wets and a couple of dirty per day. On the weekend they have only about 4 wets when nursing on demand. We have never had trouble with weight gain, but I have always wondered if maybe I do make more than I think.