Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Supply in Afternoon

Default Low Supply in Afternoon

Hello,

Our doctor recently informed me that my daughter is not gaining well enough and when we weighed her before and after an afternoon feed we discovered that she was only getting an ounce or two, if that.
    I've started taking fenugreek and blessed thistle and I've noticed a huge change so my milk is coming back. And my daughter has started sleeping much better now so I know she is feeling full. However I know it's still quite low in the afternoon as I don't feel full at all and my daughter fusses at the breast and wants to eat again within an hour-two hours.
    I've upped my protein intake and my calories and I'm drinking at least 3 litres of water during the day. I'm pumping after the morning feed when I am very full.

Is there any suggestions to what I can do to increase my supply in the afternoon?

Default Re: Low Supply in Afternoon

Before we discuss how to increase supply, let's go over the basics:
    - How old is your baby?
    - Has baby always been weighed properly (in the nude or in a clean, dry diaper, always using the same scale)?
    - How does nursing feel?
    - How many times per day does your baby nurse?
    - Is baby being fed on demand or on a schedule?
    - Can you please post a complete weight history for your baby, including birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each checkup?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi There

Baby is 11 weeks old. She was born at 7lbs 11oz and lost 11% of birth weight but had it back in two weeks. I always had an abundant supply for her and she ate every 2.5-3 hours. I got a nipple crack and thrush after the first week and ended up using a nipple shield to heal it for three weeks. That ended three weeks ago and my supply issues started shortly after I stopped using the nipple shield (which I only ever used on one side)
    Her two month check up she was 11lbs 11oz and a week later she had only gained an ounce or so.
    Her weight was on two different scales as one was the doctor's office and one at the hospital with the lactation consultant. She is always weighed naked.

Nursing feels good most of the time but late afternoon I feel empty and baby fusses.
    She has been feeding about 8-10 time a day. On a good full day she will feed less often but sleeps fantastic. On days that I feel low she eats more often and refuses to nap.
    Last edited by @llli*gogs81; August 11th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gogs81 View Post
    Is there any suggestions to what I can do to increase my supply in the afternoon?
    Did you start any hormonal birth control? Even the mini pill can mess with supply.

Feed often, use breast compressions, switch breasts a couple times during those low supply time feedings.
    pump after as many feedings per day as you can.
    Take a nap.

I know, easier said than done.

Okay, based on those weights and other information, I don't understand why your doctor thinks that there is a problem. Take a look at this chart for breastfed baby girls: http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif. Your baby was born at around the 50th %ile, and at 2 months was still there. Your baby seems to have gained only 1 oz between 2 months and 2 months, 1 week- but it sounds like 2 different scales were used in that time period, so I would consider those weights untrustworthy. It's really important that all weights be done on the same scale because there can be significant differences in calibration between machines.

It sounds like you did only a single weigh-feed-weigh measurement, so I would encourage you not to put too much stock in it. It you want an accurate picture of intake, you need to do multiple weigh-feed-weigh measurements over the course of a day. The single snapshot tells you very little because the average feed could be much larger or much smaller than what the baby does in the unfamiliar environs of the LC's office.

Other than that, everything you describe sounds perfectly normal. Baby has a nice feeding frequency. Nursing generally feels good. You feel emptier and baby is fussier in the afternoon- but both are entirely normal. Remember that you do NOT need to feel full in order to have sufficient milk. In fact, when supply and demand are well-matched, you should rarely if ever feel full!

Short version: I don't understand why your doc is worried!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I agree with mommal. How much does doc think baby should weigh?
    tclynx has many good ideas for increasing milk production and increasing milk into baby.
    But there is no such thing as low milk production that only happens part of the day. Either a mom has low production or she does not. Your baby’s normal gain indicates you do not.

when we weighed her before and after an afternoon feed we discovered that she was only getting an ounce or two, if that
    As mommal says, one before and after nursing weight check is only going to tell you what happened at that one feed. Also if the weighted feed was done correctly with the right kind of scale, you should know precisely how much baby transferred. Also, one or two ounces is a normal feeding! Yes a baby this age can and often will take more than that at once. That does not mean they are always going to. Babies vary meal size according to appetite just like anyone else.

Of course it never hurts to offer to nurse more often. If you are very full in the morning and remain concerned about weight gain, you can perhaps encourage baby to nurse more overnight or slightly more often overall.

Thanks for all the great comments. They are very helpful!
    Doctor was only slightly concerned as she dropped from 50% to 49% or something like that. Said she hadn't gained quite on track with what she was originally gaining.

My main concern was that she had gone from eating every 2-3 hours to barely 1-1.5 hours and didn't ever seem satisfied when she was finished. She also stopped napping well. We could barely get her to nap 30 mins before she would wake up hungry again. She used to be able to nap for at least a couple hours and she stopped sleeping through the night and was up multiple times to eat.

We've started supplementing with formula in the afternoon and I'm nursing in the morning and night and that seems to be making her much happier. She is sleeping through the night again and having 2-3 good naps a day.

I had planned on nursing for at least 6 months but I think a combination formula and nursing will be what we end up with to ensure she is a happier baby.

Just beware that if you are supplementing and NOT nursing/pumping during the afternoon, supply may be further hampered.

But you know your baby best and definitely need to do what you think is right.

Thanks. I've been pumping and mixing half breastmilk and half formula in her bottles and she is taking it willingly. I plan to continue morning and evening nursing as long as I can. Hopefully my supply stays strong at those times :-)

Doctor was only slightly concerned as she dropped from 50% to 49% or something like that. Said she hadn't gained quite on track with what she was originally gaining.
    Proof that doctors need to be VERY CAREFUL about tossing off comments like this! It is NORMAL for the rate of weight gain to decline with time- that's why babies growth is a curve, not a straight line. It is also normal for a baby to wiggle around on the charts. The charts are developed using data from many babies, none of whom followed a curve found on the charts, because actual human babies are not always going to maintain the exact same percentile. For example, my kids went from the 20th percentile at birth to around the 100th percentile at 2-3 months, and then back to the 75-85th percentile range by 12 months- and that was all perfectly normal.

My main concern was that she had gone from eating every 2-3 hours to barely 1-1.5 hours
    This is also totally normal, and not an indication of problems with supply.

and didn't ever seem satisfied when she was finished. She also stopped napping well. We could barely get her to nap 30 mins before she would wake up hungry again. She used to be able to nap for at least a couple hours and she stopped sleeping through the night and was up multiple times to eat.
    Also not an indication of problems with supply. Some babies are long nappers, some are cat-nappers, and many will switch from one style of nap to another as time goes on. It is also 100% normal for a baby to stop sleeping through the night, and to be up multiple times to eat. Many babies go through a period of sleeping through the night and eventually return to frequent night wakings and night feedings.

We've started supplementing with formula in the afternoon and I'm nursing in the morning and night and that seems to be making her much happier. She is sleeping through the night again and having 2-3 good naps a day.
    How often are you nursing, then? It sounds like you must not be nursing very frequently... And that can be a ticket to weaning before you and your baby are ready. If you would like to get back to exclusive nursing, we can help you with that. I understand your concerns about your baby being happy, but believe me, in the long term breastfeeding makes babies way happier than formula.