Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pumping enough to meet baby's demand

Default Not pumping enough to meet baby's demand

Hi, I can use some advice. I returned to work this week. My son who is nearly 3 months old started daycare. Because he is breastfed I estimated that he would need about 3 to 3.5 ounces per feeding and he eats 4x a day at daycare. I pumped almost 10 ounces at work. then the daycare said that I did not leave enough milk. Baby was really upset and fussy afterwards. They asked me to try filling the bottles to 4 ounces each. I did, and they said that he was perfectly content after each feeding. Today I pumped less then 10 ounces at work. I am not pumping enough outside of work hours to make up for the shortage and be able to feed him at home. tomorrow I have to resort to using formula for 1 of the feedings. I am not sure what other options I have. I guess I am just one of those people who needs to supplement with formula? I don't have a huge freezer stash either. Any advice?

Default Re: Not pumping enough to meet baby's demand

How long are you away from your LO?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Can you sneak in an extra pumping session or pump a few minutes longer during your current sessions? That might boost supply a bit. What kind of pump are you using? I was able to increase my output 4 to 5 oz a day by keeping my rental in a hospital grade pump and then pumping on the way to work with a PISA.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I am away almost 9 hours a day. We wake up at 6 and feed until 7 while I pump on 1 side. then I pump at work around 930, 1230 and 3. I use a lansinoh pump st home and a first years at work. With each pumping session I get 2.5-3 oz. sometimes I can probably add a few minutes to pumping. I also do compressions to squeeze out anything else that's in there.

What kind of pump do you have? Oh, I see. I would suggest NOT using a first Year's. That is not a good pump.

Are you taking any supplements or eating oatmeal or brown rice?

Babies usually eat 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

Some moms end up working in a car session to or from work, and then thereafe some who pump at home in the evening.

Add a few minutes to each pumping session.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How much does he sleep at night?

If it's feasible, you could try doing an overnight pump session. I did this for a while and it wasn't so much that it added a huge amount to what I was getting every day, as much as it stimulated more production. The negative side was it meant less sleep, of course. But if LO is sleeping well it might be worth it to try.

I empathize. It might be worth renting a really good pump and see if that helps you produce more milk. If the pump makes a difference you can buy a different one. After having 2 bf babies and then 1 who mostly drank formula, I can tell you that investing in a good pump is well worth the money, even purely for financial reasons.