Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 1/2month old pumping and nursing problems

Default 5 1/2month old pumping and nursing problems

I am a SAHM. There are many rewards to doing this and lately I have been facing some challenges. Currently my challenge is keeping my milk supply up and trying to get my son back to breast-feeding.

Here is some back story:
    Tristan was born sep8 2010 and he was a GREAT latcher and feeder right from birth. I had to have c-section and he still was patient while my milk arrived. Two weeks after he was born his father contracted a MRSA(staph infection) in his face and we had to quarantine our whole family for 5 days. MRSA has a 85% kill rate in infants our family is VERY fortunate to have our little angel with us today.

Tristan went to live with one of my cousins during the 5 day quarantine and I stayed with my fiance in the hospital to arrange his insurance information and help him. (He was very doped up from all the medication they had to give him; I was his advocate). Our family was separated for a total of 2months while my fiance continued to heal in our home but I got Tristan back with me after 7days. Once Tristan and I were back together his nursing abilities were pretty much shot ( I moved in with my fiances inlaws...omg. The sacrifices we make! lol) It took a lot of work to get him back on the breast but I was still having to pump a lot of his feedings.

My cousin didn't listen to anything I told her; I said no binkies and she did it anyways. I told her not to over feed him yet she grossly over-fed him almost 5oz each feeding at 2weeks old... Ever since I have had Tristan back with me he is constantly spitting up breast milk or formula. He seems hungry all the time. He is teething and screaming and refusing to nurse on my breasts. I am getting to the point where I am at the end of my rope with breast-feeding. Just the other day I was feeding him in my van and he started choking and gasping while feeding. I fed him and he came off my breast and I was spraying like a fountain. He cried for 10 mins and then refused to nurse at all...it broke my heart. I am all alone with my son for over 14hours a day and am the sole parent that takes care of him during the day.I don't have a big support system of people that can competently take care of him for me, I really never get a break.

I am exhausted and the idea of just mixing a bottle when he is screaming is becoming more and more appealing... I just feel alone and helpless I am trying very hard to continue to nurse him and pump bottles. But now one of my breasts has this pimple like thing on the end of my right nipple which hurts when he nurses (but not when I am pumping). It is painful though if I try to hand express milk onto it and it is sore when I touch it. (Unfortunately I can't go to the doctor right now because I can not afford health insurance). I know I don't have mastitis though. I am just ready to give up and go to formula, at least I know Tristan likes it...but it really breaks my heart I don't want to quit nursing... he is still so young and can still benefit from mommy's milk. Tristan is on baby foods now (which are made by his mother) and he loves them. But I think it is way too young to stop him on milk. He currently eats 25-35oz or formula/or breastmilk. Along with 8oz of baby food and 1/2cup of rice cereal. And he is still underweight.... I don't know what I am doing wrong here. I do everything his doctor has recommended and still has not doubled his birth weight. He was born at 8lbs 2.2oz. and now at 5 1/2 months I am guessing he is at about 15lbs. (He has not gone in for his next check up yet so I don't know exactly what he weighs yet).

Please if anyone has gone through the same things I am struggling with reply to this thread with reckless abandon! I am pleading to anyone that will listen. Sincerely MommaBear

Default Re: 5 1/2month old pumping and nursing problems

First, I just wanted to say you are doing a wonderful job nursing your son and working so hard to get him back to the breast full time! Try to remember that so much of your story is outside of your control! You are doing all the right things to get back where you were. I am sorry you are going through this but KNOW it WILL get better!!!

With that being said, why do you feel like you are having an issue with keeping your supply up? I ask simply because the spray to the face sounds like you have plenty of milk for baby! What color/texture are his poops? How many wet diapers does he have in a day? Does he suffer from horrible gas and fussiness? I ask because I wonder if you don't have over supply and over active let down issues, which are realtively easy to fix. The two things that immediate began to help with my issues were nursing baby in as upright a position as possible, burping FREQUENTLY and well, and pulling away from baby during a let down (let the milk stream onto a towel) before putting baby back on the breast (that way he will not choke and gulp down all that air). If this sounds like your son, you may want to check out the following sites:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/blockfeeding.htm (VERY helpful with over supply and OALD but it takes a little while to work--5-7 days for me)

Why do you feel like your son is under weight? Not that this is a fair comparison (i.e. girl vs. boy), but my daughter was only 13 lbs 3 ounces at 6 months. Maybe this calculator will help ease your mind. It sounds to me based on his intake of both liquids and solids that he is doing very well. If he is having the appropriate wet and dirty diaper count, you should not be so worried. The recommended amount of breastmilk for an infant in a 24 hour period is as follows:
    "The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day)."

As for the milk blister...is there any way to feed him on the unaffected breast while pumping the one with the blister? I have no experience here so I am not sure what to suggest...

As for bottle feeding, what flow nipple are you using?

Hopefully other Mommy's will jump in soon to add anything I missed. :-) Don't give up! You will be through this before you know it. I promise. Keep us updated!!!

Tristan generally has 6-8 wet diapers and 1 or 2 soiled ones a day. Lately the poop has had a little mucus in it and being more solid and green in color (but it could be from adding bananas and avocado to his diet). Some days he refuses to eat more than 20oz of liquid but he did get sick with some nasty virus this winter, our whole family got it.

I did look up about milk block feeding and letting it spray on a towel. The milk block is that only feeding on one side all the time and just letting the other side be pumped? I am a little confused am I ever supposed to feed him on the other side too? (I am a first time mom and have no idea what I am doing). I just feel so frustrated letting it all spray away, I feel very soft after that happens. Do I still have enough milk in there to keep feeding him after such a big milk let down? I can spray for a good minute! He seems agitated once he re-latches and angry that it is not flowing fast enough then...sometimes it seems like I can't win lol. Does breast size count when it comes to making milk? Also I am a little confused on breast shield sizes. I have 24mm 27mm and 30mm for a hospital grade medela pump. The big ones feel good on my nipple diameter but they pull on my breast tissue too hard and make it painful and sore to the touch but the small ones squish my nipples all around in there and then they get sore too from moving around too much. The 27mm only seem to work when I am at a medium fullness and then I have no problem. How far back should the shield go on my areoa? I have large breasts they are Fcups. Tristan looks like he is getting swallowed when I try to nurse him I have tried multiple feeding positions and the only one where he can nurse and breathe properly is the cradle the only problem with only being able to nurse him in one position is that my breast doesn't ever feel drained properly it gets lumps in it and they get tender

He is probably getting about 75% of his diet as breastmilk and 25% formula when you add in mixing cereal and baby food and the occasional formula bottle before bed. He likes to chow down because he sleeps about 10 hours a night or more. He eats almost 12 oz of food before bedtime. Do you think that is too much for an almost 6 month old to be eating? He keeps it all down which is strange because throughout the day he will be constantly spitting up feedings ... Also he has been biting me now for over 2 months and everytime he does it I take him off my breast and sternly say no but he always smiles and laughs at me...yet I have never laughed at him back. : / Any suggestions? I do put lanolin cream on my nipples when they get sore or hair dry them with warm air which relieves the pain for a little while.

I know women are supposed to eat really healthy when breastfeeding and I try to do my best. My question is... even if your diet isn't perfectly rounded out with fruits and veggies is breast milk still considered the best food? I am from the Midwest and grew up on meat and potatoes sort of foods. Hotdishes and such. I didn't grow up on a lot of fruits and veggies... I know this isn't an excuse and I try to force them down during the day but I am not the grazing type of eater. I eat 3 good sized meals a day or maybe 2. Any suggestions to sneak more good stuff in me? I do take prenatal vitamins and I still unfortunately have to take percocet for my incision pain from my c-section (but I only take it when I absolutely can't function from it).

I have never been much for bringing kids to the doctor for every little issue. The reason I have been worrying so much about his weight is because his pediatrician said he was kinda "skinny" for his age at his 4month check up for shots. Tristan is a lot like his dad he can eat like a horse and not gain anything but muscle. Both Tristan's father and myself were small kids until we hit high school. I just want to be the best mom I can for my son and when my doctor basically says he is a skinny minnie and asking me if i feed him ... it got under my skin. I think he is ok but my doctor doesn't? Should I change doctors? The pediatrician that Tristan has was my doctor when I was a child....so I trust him but I guess he just hurt my feelings.

One last question should I be concerned about Tristan wanting to watch TV all the time? He loves Baby Einstein dvd's and he will scream and complain if he doesn't get to watch them at specific times during the day. I know babies have no time concept but I think he might be a lot smarter than he is letting on. If I skip one of his dvd's during the day he is a little brat until he gets what he wants. Or even if I leave the room to make breakfast or lunch he screams because I am not looking at him...we even got him a bouncer toy and he loved it at first and now he won't play in it if I am not sitting next to him! The weirdest thing is that I DONT hold him all day so you would think he wouldn't be screaming all the time when I leave the room but even if I try to go to the bathroom he throws a fit. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all the help ladies I will be obsessively checking to see if anyone replied!

Hi, my responses are in the red ink:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tristansmomma View Post
    Tristan generally has 6-8 wet diapers and 1 or 2 soiled ones a day. That sounds pretty good.

I did look up about milk block feeding and letting it spray on a towel. The milk block is that only feeding on one side all the time and just letting the other side be pumped? I am a little confused am I ever supposed to feed him on the other side too? (I am a first time mom and have no idea what I am doing). Check out this webpage to answer these questions: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html I just feel so frustrated letting it all spray away, I feel very soft after that happens. Do I still have enough milk in there to keep feeding him after such a big milk let down? YES, your breasts are always making milk, you will still have enough. I can spray for a good minute! ARe you squeezing the milk out too or if you just leave the breast alone is it coming out by itself for that long? I would just let it come out without holding it until the initial jet spray is gone, then latch him on again so he gets the flow he wants. He seems agitated once he re-latches and angry that it is not flowing fast enough then...sometimes it seems like I can't win lol. Does breast size count when it comes to making milk? I don't think so. Also I am a little confused on breast shield sizes. I have 24mm 27mm and 30mm for a hospital grade medela pump. The big ones feel good on my nipple diameter but they pull on my breast tissue too hard and make it painful and sore to the touch but the small ones squish my nipples all around in there and then they get sore too from moving around too much. The 27mm only seem to work when I am at a medium fullness and then I have no problem. How far back should the shield go on my areoa? I have large breasts they are Fcups. Tristan looks like he is getting swallowed when I try to nurse him I have tried multiple feeding positions and the only one where he can nurse and breathe properly is the cradle the only problem with only being able to nurse him in one position is that my breast doesn't ever feel drained properly it gets lumps in it and they get tender Have you tried the football hold? I heard that works well with bigger breasts. Also, is that why you are using a shield? I don't know alot about them, but I think eventually the goal is to not have to use shields.For the lumps (plugged ducts probably), try applying moist heat, or try to massage them during nursing if you can.

He is probably getting about 75% of his diet as breastmilk and 25% formula when you add in mixing cereal and baby food and the occasional formula bottle before bed. Why are you supplementing with formula? Also, don't know if you do this but don't put cereal ever in a bottle. He likes to chow down because he sleeps about 10 hours a night or more. He eats almost 12 oz of food before bedtime. Do you think that is too much for an almost 6 month old to be eating? I personally think that is a lot of food--do you mean solid food like cereal, banana, etc? There are other mamas that might counsel you about solid food (Mommal are you there?) He keeps it all down which is strange because throughout the day he will be constantly spitting up feedings ... Also he has been biting me now for over 2 months and everytime he does it I take him off my breast and sternly say no but he always smiles and laughs at me...yet I have never laughed at him back. : / Any suggestions? I do put lanolin cream on my nipples when they get sore or hair dry them with warm air which relieves the pain for a little while.

I know women are supposed to eat really healthy when breastfeeding and I try to do my best. My question is... even if your diet isn't perfectly rounded out with fruits and veggies is breast milk still considered the best food? From what I understand, your body takes everything it needs from you to make the perfect milk, even if you don't eat perfectly. As long as you are taking a prenatal vitamin, I would not worry about your diet creating deficient milk. If anything, your diet is to keep YOUR energy up, your body will take care of the baby's milk on its own. Just take vitamins and make sure you drink plenty of water and get enough calories a day I am from the Midwest and grew up on meat and potatoes sort of foods. Hotdishes and such. I didn't grow up on a lot of fruits and veggies... I know this isn't an excuse and I try to force them down during the day but I am not the grazing type of eater. I eat 3 good sized meals a day or maybe 2. Any suggestions to sneak more good stuff in me? I do take prenatal vitamins and I still unfortunately have to take percocet for my incision pain from my c-section (but I only take it when I absolutely can't function from it).

I have never been much for bringing kids to the doctor for every little issue. The reason I have been worrying so much about his weight is because his pediatrician said he was kinda "skinny" for his age at his 4month check up for shots. Tristan is a lot like his dad he can eat like a horse and not gain anything but muscle. Both Tristan's father and myself were small kids until we hit high school. I just want to be the best mom I can for my son and when my doctor basically says he is a skinny minnie and asking me if i feed him ... it got under my skin. I think he is ok but my doctor doesn't? Should I change doctors? The pediatrician that Tristan has was my doctor when I was a child....so I trust him but I guess he just hurt my feelings. Sometimes pedis say insensitive stuff, just smile and nod.

One last question should I be concerned about Tristan wanting to watch TV all the time? He loves Baby Einstein dvd's and he will scream and complain if he doesn't get to watch them at specific times during the day. I know babies have no time concept but I think he might be a lot smarter than he is letting on. If I skip one of his dvd's during the day he is a little brat until he gets what he wants. Or even if I leave the room to make breakfast or lunch he screams because I am not looking at him...we even got him a bouncer toy and he loved it at first and now he won't play in it if I am not sitting next to him! The weirdest thing is that I DONT hold him all day so you would think he wouldn't be screaming all the time when I leave the room but even if I try to go to the bathroom he throws a fit. What am I doing wrong? You're not doing anything wrong, babies sometimes get into phases where they want mama around all the time and its nothing you did or didn't do. How much you hold him won't make him want to be with you more or less. BUT you can make it easier on you not having to hear him cry if you invest in a baby carrier like an Ergo or a ring sling so you can have your hands free while you wear him.

Thanks for all the help ladies I will be obsessively checking to see if anyone replied!
    Lastly, you are doing a good job!!, other mamas will be replying shortly. This is a great resource, stick around!!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

The milk block is that only feeding on one side all the time and just letting the other side be pumped?
    Not quite. When you have an oversupply of milk, the way to reduce it is to allow as much milk as possible sit in the breast for as long as possible. The body interprets this as reduced demand and decreases supply. So what you do is feed on one breast and leave the other alone. No pumping, unless you become too uncomfortable, in which case you pump the minimum necessary to restore comfort. You may use the other breast at the next feeding or, if you have a more severe oversupply problem, you may need to feed from the same breast for more than 1 feeding in a row.

I just feel so frustrated letting it all spray away, I feel very soft after that happens. Do I still have enough milk in there to keep feeding him after such a big milk let down?
    It is frustrating! You might try catching the spray in a basin, and saving it to mix with cereal or something.

Despite the empty feeling you have after the breast lets down, there is still milk in there and the baby can get it if he is willing to do the work. The breast is never really empty, since milk is constantly being made.

He seems agitated once he re-latches and angry that it is not flowing fast enough then...sometimes it seems like I can't win lol.
    This is very normal. Some babies have a strong preference for a given flow speed, and make their displeasure known then the flow is too fast or too slow!

Does breast size count when it comes to making milk?
    No, not really. There are A-cup moms with abundant supplies and moms with large breasts who have low supply.

Also I am a little confused on breast shield sizes. I have 24mm 27mm and 30mm for a hospital grade medela pump. The big ones feel good on my nipple diameter but they pull on my breast tissue too hard and make it painful and sore to the touch but the small ones squish my nipples all around in there and then they get sore too from moving around too much. The 27mm only seem to work when I am at a medium fullness and then I have no problem. How far back should the shield go on my areoa?
    There are no hard and fast rules about how the shields should look. They should feel good, though! So use whatever shield is most comfortable.

I have large breasts they are Fcups. Tristan looks like he is getting swallowed when I try to nurse him I have tried multiple feeding positions and the only one where he can nurse and breathe properly is the cradle
    Have you tried the side-lying position?

He eats almost 12 oz of food before bedtime. Do you think that is too much for an almost 6 month old to be eating?
    Yes. At that age, a baby should be trying tastes of solids, but still getting the bulk of his nutritional needs met by breastmilk or formula.

Also he has been biting me now for over 2 months and everytime he does it I take him off my breast and sternly say no but he always smiles and laughs at me...yet I have never laughed at him back. : / Any suggestions?
    Keep on doing what you're doing. Baby bites = baby gets put down.

I know women are supposed to eat really healthy when breastfeeding and I try to do my best. My question is... even if your diet isn't perfectly rounded out with fruits and veggies is breast milk still considered the best food?
    It's a myth that a breastfeeding mom needs to have a great diet in order to produce good milk. Moms who eat a substandard diet will still produce high-quality milk, and yes, that's the best thing for the baby.

Now go eat your veggies.

I have never been much for bringing kids to the doctor for every little issue. The reason I have been worrying so much about his weight is because his pediatrician said he was kinda "skinny" for his age at his 4month check up for shots.
    Can you post your baby's history? Birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each checkup? Also, length and head circumference would be nice data to have.

One last question should I be concerned about Tristan wanting to watch TV all the time?
    Look, we all do what we have to do as moms. Sometimes, for some of us, that means using tv as a babysitter in order to get things done. But if you can avoid it, do so. It really isn't good for the developing brain. Not trying to guilt you, but hey, you asked!

Or even if I leave the room to make breakfast or lunch he screams because I am not looking at him...we even got him a bouncer toy and he loved it at first and now he won't play in it if I am not sitting next to him! The weirdest thing is that I DONT hold him all day so you would think he wouldn't be screaming all the time when I leave the room but even if I try to go to the bathroom he throws a fit. What am I doing wrong?
    You're not doing anything wrong. What you describe sounds like separation anxiety. There's no cure for it but time. It may seem counterintuitive, but holding your baby MORE may help. If you can wear him in a sling, he won't need to miss you, and you'll have your hands free to do what needs doing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I should have been more precise about the flow issue with the breasts. About a month ago both breasts made about 4-5 oz every pumping session now my right one makes 3-4 and my left one maybe makes 2...and that is after massaging before and while pumping. Is this something I can fix? Or am I doomed to have one droopy fried egg on a nail as I age? I am working on hand expression and that is proving fruitless. I can express milk like nuts when I am in the shower but when I am trying to do it into a breastshield it misses the area and goes everywhere but where I want it to go unless I tug on my nipple which is not good. (I can't express well on the right side because of the blister thing).

Also when I said he eats 12oz of food before bedtime... I meant 12oz of formula. I try to nurse him and he just sits there and freaks out and screams. He is not eating 12oz of baby food lol. Poor little guy would be pooping out bricks

I have a sling that I have tried to put him in, I think it might be too small. It is a Maya wrap and he doesn't like to be in it anyway other than kangaroo hold. (He gets scared when I put anything over his head. Even when he was a newborn in the nursery he wouldn't wear a hat). Now that he is getting bigger he is getting to be too much for my back to carry around all day not to mention that he is very easily falling out of it I don't want him to hit his head or be injured while trying to grab something. I am a short gal and I got the one for my height but it is not working out real well because my chest is so large . I am 5ft 1inch tall and he is at least 15lbs now. I want to carry him around because I think it is fun for him to see what I am doing all day but my back and c-section scar get a lot of strain on it. Is there another carrier that would not put so much strain on my lower back and lower front section of my tummy? ( I am trying to hold in my abdominals when I am walking around or lifting things so I don't put too much weight on the scar or my low back).

One mom said if baby bites baby gets put down...only problem with that is when I put him down then he gets distracted so fast that he will not be interested in nursing afterwards. He will cry and arch his back and head away from me because I took him off...should I just let him sit there laughing in my arms but not have him latched? Or should I keep trying to re-latch him or just give up and try again later? I don't want him to be scared of feeding from me!

Birth weight=8lbs 2.2oz., lowest weight=7lbs 9oz., weight at each checkup: 2months= 10.2oz 22inches/ 4months=14lbs 13oz 22.5inches(He has not had his 6month yet). length at birth: 21.5inches and head circumference at birth= 14.5inches His 6month is coming up on March 8th so its just around the corner, I just hope he doubles his birth weight.

I have tried every hold known to man. The positions he fed on the best were side lying and cradle. Football hold I just wasn't strong enough to hold his body weight up that long. He takes a long time to nurse usually between 25 and 35mins. (When he is nursing properly). Now I am lucky if he nurses 5 mins on one side of me without giving up. I know babies can go through nursing strikes, but is 6months too early?

I pre-apologize if any of this sounds like I am super complaining that is not my intention I have tried a lot of different techniques to breast feed him and I am just letting you guys know what I have tried and what hasn't worked. I am wanting to join a LLL in my area. Do you have to pay $40 upfront to go to the groups? Or even to get help over the phone? I ask because my fiance and I don't have a lot of money to throw around. All of our extra money goes for Tristan.

Thank you for all of the help everyone it is greatly appreaciated.

you do NOT have to pay $40 or ANYTHING EVER to attend LLL meetings or to talk in the phone. If you go to meetings regularly or have the money and want to donate, GREAT...but if you go to meetings regularly and DONT have the money, that is fine too!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tristansmomma View Post
    I have a sling that I have tried to put him in, I think it might be too small. It is a Maya wrap and he doesn't like to be in it anyway other than kangaroo hold. (He gets scared when I put anything over his head. Even when he was a newborn in the nursery he wouldn't wear a hat). Now that he is getting bigger he is getting to be too much for my back to carry around all day not to mention that he is very easily falling out of it I don't want him to hit his head or be injured while trying to grab something. I am a short gal and I got the one for my height but it is not working out real well because my chest is so large . I am 5ft 1inch tall and he is at least 15lbs now. I want to carry him around because I think it is fun for him to see what I am doing all day but my back and c-section scar get a lot of strain on it. Is there another carrier that would not put so much strain on my lower back and lower front section of my tummy? ( I am trying to hold in my abdominals when I am walking around or lifting things so I don't put too much weight on the scar or my low back).

One mom said if baby bites baby gets put down...only problem with that is when I put him down then he gets distracted so fast that he will not be interested in nursing afterwards. He will cry and arch his back and head away from me because I took him off...should I just let him sit there laughing in my arms but not have him latched? Or should I keep trying to re-latch him or just give up and try again later? I don't want him to be scared of feeding from me!

I pre-apologize if any of this sounds like I am super complaining that is not my intention I have tried a lot of different techniques to breast feed him and I am just letting you guys know what I have tried and what hasn't worked. I am wanting to join a LLL in my area. Do you have to pay $40 upfront to go to the groups? Or even to get help over the phone? I ask because my fiance and I don't have a lot of money to throw around. All of our extra money goes for Tristan.

Thank you for all of the help everyone it is greatly appreaciated.
    NO, LLL membership isn't needed. And you should go. Just for the IRL support.

Regarding your carrier. No, it's not too small. It just might not be the right carrier for you right now. I would suggest lookign at an Ergo, Beco or something like that. Those are called soft structured carriers, and you might find those easier on your back. But I personally carry my babies in a Maya for about a year -- and my boys are huge (like off the chart for height and over the 75th for weight). That said, I'm quite tall and have the height to do so. I could see how it might not be as comfortable for a mom who is shorter. You can face a child out in a Maya wrap; you "Indian fold" (I know that's not PC, but I'm exhausted and can't think of another term) their legs and sit them in the seat of the wrap and then pull it up until it's snug. I like to pull it up into their armpits and tighten it.

Maybe instead of putting him on the floor, put him in a pack and play or something like that so he can't get away and get distracted.

The rest of it....
    the pimple thing sounds like a milk bleb to me. And yeah, those hurt. I have found that for me, those are the result of a sloppy latch. So, work on your latch. Change positions. And this is not for the faint of heart....I open that sucker, deal with healing the wound and then it's all over until the next time I get sloppy with the latch. I use a clean needle, poke it, scrape out the stuff in there and then slap some Neosporin on it. Keep it moist for a few days and then it's done.

Sounds like you have an overactive letdown. I know others have suggested ways to deal with that, and those methods work.

I know it seems easier to think about just making a bottle, but it's far easier to work out the nursing issues and do that instead of pumping, making bottles and buying formula.

Speaking of buying...formula is expensive. You can save your family a lot of money if you sort out nursing.

Hang in there. You can get through this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Diaper output sounds good! The mucus and green could be a sign of overproduction, but with how much solids he eats (can tell by the more formed bowel movements) it will be hard to tell. Honestly, 20 ounces sounds really good considering all the food he is eating! But, if I were you, I would try backing off the solids a little more to get more ounces of milk in him. He is still quite young and before the first year an infant should get most of their nutrition from BM. Sounds like you are doing a great job! Don’t let these hiccups cost you your nursing relationship. Try to relax. He obviously isn’t starving! These ladies are here to get you through this. I know about the virus! My DD refused solids for a MONTH when she was 11 months old.

Blockfeeding: Your situation is going to be harder to handle just because you have the milk blister. Block feeding is rather simple (when you get used to it!) so throwing the fact that you need to pump to avoid pain can really trip you up. Long story short, all I did was simply nurse on the same side two feedings in a row (i.e. blockfeeding), and then switched to the other for the next two feedings. If it still seemed like there was a forceful let down or that DD was still gassy, fussing, or had green poops after 3-4 days of doing this I would add another nursing session (i.e. three feedings in a row on the same side before switching to the other for the next three feedings).

Because of the milk blister that you have, I would do the following until it has healed: Nurse on the unaffected side two feedings in a row and then pump on the blister side the next two feedings in a row. Of course, feed the baby the pumped milk from a bottle after pumping. Does that make sense?

Once you son becomes happier at the breast, less gassy, and the forceful letdown is manageable you can back off on the block feeding schedule because your milk production will be more in line with what baby needs. This block feeding process is telling your un-nursed side to slow milk production based on supply and demand (i.e. it is not being nursed as much, therefore, not as much milk is needed. But remember it takes a few days for your supply to adjust accordingly). The side you are not nursing on will become engorged and/or uncomfortable. You can either pump off just a little to provide comfort OR just uncover it and let it lactate on its own while feeding on the other side (You could always put a cup or bottle under your breast to catch the “wasted” milk)…be cautious about pumping because the more you pump the more you make. Yes! You still have enough milk for your son! You always make milk and if he is hungry sooner just put him back to the breast and he will get what he wants. Honestly, breast size does not matter for milk production (so I have read). Yes, some women easily produce more milk then others but that has to do with the amount of ducts and glands in the breast tissue, not the fatty tissue (which is usually want makes a breast bigger). Does that make sense? The following article is well written to answer your questions about breast size! http://breastfeedingbasics.info/do-b...make-more-milk
    --There is a statement in this site that said women with larger breasts may not become as engorged as quickly as smaller breasted women. May explain the 1 minute spray and softness soon to follow!

Never had the shield size issue myself…but here are a few sites to help you.
    http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfe...astshield.html
    http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields
    The fuller I am the more painful pumping can be. Before switching shield size, try starting off at a lower suction setting and work your way up (if needed) as your breast empties. This might be all you need to know…worth a shot.

The position issue…have you tried lying on your side and letting him position around your breast (i.e. tilt his head however he needs to in order to breathe)? Not sure if that is helpful. I know the restrictions on positions! Just know my DD would not nurse any way but when laying down at this age. It was quite annoying when in public! LOL! The lump issue is best resolved with massage, heat, nursing and getting production under control.

If I were you, I would do away with the formula ASAP just because if he was off the formula he would nurse more which means your supply could be right where it needs (i.e. you might not have to go through the block feeding process as long or even at all)! Save you some money and stop the formula!!! I know you do not want to hear this, but 10 hours is WAY too long for a nursing mother of a 5.5 month old to go without nursing her baby…it causes engorgement and, yes, lumps. Sleeping through the night is considered 5-6 hours…is there any way you can feed him before you go to sleep? My DD is 13 months and she still nurses 2 times during a 10-12 hour night. Granted, this is not every nursed baby, but because you are experiencing issues, I would try a night feeding and see what happens. This will help BIG time with the discomfort. Personally, 12 ounces of formula seems like a LOT of food to me for a 5.5 month old! No wonder you are having over production/forceful let down issues! You are way over producing for what your son wants considering his formula intake. I am not saying do away completely with the solids (I am so jealous! My DD is NOT nearly as interested in solids as she is her BM) but I would not give him any solids or formula before bed time. Why not just nurse him? This will encourage him to nurse during the 10 hour period he sleeps. I know it is convenient for him to sleep that long but honestly it does not work well for a nursing mother. He is probably spitting up feedings because his tummy is so full of formula. Too, the feedings come up because they weigh less than the solids. BTW, are you using the slowest flow nipple around!? No matter what his age, keep with the slowest...it is the most comparable to the flow of a mother's milk. Also, it was my experience that my 6 month old still had the yellow runny breast fed poops, not so much formed and other colors as a solid fed or formula baby might. If you do away with the formula and back off on the solids, don’t be surprised if the BFed poops return. As for the biting, I feel ya! My DD did it a lot when I was over producing…she would bite down to slow the flow of the milk because she could not manage the forceful let downs very well. Also, teething plays a big factor. There are many reasons why they do it. Just keep telling him no and putting him down and do not resume the nursing session until it has been a few minutes (i.e. long enough for him to get the point) AND he is asking to nurse again in some way or fashion…he might be biting because he is not hungry and is just feeling playful.

You body will make the right milk combo. Keep taking the vitamins, drink PLENTY of water, eat the recommended amount of calories and try your hardest to eat as well as possible (if there are some days you just can’t do it…and that is fine). Just remember, if you do not eat well, it is YOU that is missing out.

Either take what the ped says in one ear and out the other OR find a new one. Remember, as a mother, YOU get the final say in what advice the doc recommends. Most of us have defied out peds wishes and most of the time it works in our favor (not saying you shouldn’t follow medical advice, but what I am saying is it is alright to seek a second opinion, ask questions, or disagree because they are NOT always right). FYI…he probably isn’t gaining any weight because he is eating so many solids that he is not taking in the needed amount of breast milk which is WAY higher in calories and fat then, say, bananas OR he could just be a petite baby. If the diaper count is there, I would not worry as much.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

I remember the seperation anxiety stage VERY well. The only thing that really worked was baby wearing/holding. DD was so much more interested in what I was doing then what I provided her to be entertained. So she started doing chores with me! It works really well for the fussing, maybe not so much for your back! ;-) There are no right answers to the tv question. We all know what is recommended but at the same time, who is prepared to entertain their kid 24 hours a day when you have other responsibilities to tend to? My DD LOVES tv, even though it REALLY bothers me. She pretty much stays at home with Dad while I am working and then she stays with me while he is working. Therefore, she sees the same house, the same toys, the same walls, hears the same noises every minute of every day…she gets bored! I am not making excuses, but I do know that she THRIVES when we so much as goes grocery shopping just because of all of the stimuli. Maybe look into getting out of the house…even if it is just to go get lunch or join a once a week baby class! There are times we let her watch way more tv then we should (when she is suffering from an ear infection) and there are times she is so happy she doesn’t watch any. Do what you can to restrict his tv time and make it as educational as possible, but I wouldn’t overly stress about it either. Lots of people may not like my advice, but I have a sickly/refluxing baby and I am living in reality here! ;-)

Hope this isn't overwhelming and is actually helpful!