Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOES breastfeeding take it out of you?

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default DOES breastfeeding take it out of you?

Hi, I've a very active 14month old, FREQUENT nurser - we nurse round the clock on 'demand'. (And i pump for the two and half days i am at work).

I am tired, ha ha!
    People have said to me, when I've been ill again with a sore throat or whatever, that the bf is taking all my goodness. Now, i know pretty much that is not true. But..DOES bf take it out of you?

would i be in tip top health if i didn't (which no way want to wean anyway!) or is just the fact i have a nosey, noisy, curious, alert DS?

just interested ladies

Default Re: DOES breastfeeding take it out of you?

Well, I don't feel like breastfeeding "takes it out of me" most of the time, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with me getting sick. But I think if you're feeling touched-out and overwhelmed by round the clock nursing, you should consider setting some limits on nursing. At 14 months, a lot of babies WANT to nurse all.day.long, but if you distract them with snacks and drinks, you can buy yourself a little bit of time between nursings. At this age, you can set some limits - sometimes that is what's needed for YOU to want to continue breastfeeding. If I nursed every time Joe wanted it, I'd go nutso. Sometimes it seems like he would park himself on my lap and nurse all day! But at his age, I can start to reason with him - breastfeeding is not something he gets to do whenever he wants. It's something he and I SHARE, when we BOTH want it. (I totally stole this idea from the ladies here. Thanks ladies!)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

For me it is the opposite of bfing taking it out of me. The ONLY time I can just sit is when ds is nursing, otherwise I feel like I am running around chasing him! I think the raising a toddler definitely takes it out of me though. Also I have been sick more as ds has gotten older but I have attributed that to him bringing illness home from playgroup or nursery.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nsm View Post
    I think the raising a toddler definitely takes it out of me though. Also I have been sick more as ds has gotten older but I have attributed that to him bringing illness home from playgroup or nursery.
    That is the truth. I'm sick all the time, but so are my friends who FF their babies. If anything, they are sick even more than me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

yes, nursery bugs defo play a huge part! I am more ill now Edward at nursery! and he fights it off SO much quicker than i do. That's bf for you eh?

and yes, i was thinking that i get to have a nice sit down when feeding - a lovely respite from the whirling through the house!

so many people seem to blame the bf

I think it *could* if you weren't taking care of yourself. I mean, you are putting out energy to produce, nutrients into your milk that you're not using for yourself. If you were to let yourself get run down, not eat well, not eat a balanced diet, etc. it *could* "take it out of you". Just like getting stressed can "take it out of you", or lack of sleep can "take it out of you".

However, I think that most BF Momma's are more in tuned with their bodies. We've made the choice to BF and know that we need to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of our LO's.

I blame daycare cooties. No one can fight off those super bugs.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

For me it is the opposite of bfing taking it out of me. The ONLY time I can just sit is when ds is nursing, otherwise I feel like I am running around chasing him! I think the raising a toddler definitely takes it out of me though. Also I have been sick more as ds has gotten older but I have attributed that to him bringing illness home from playgroup or nursery.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I think it *could* if you weren't taking care of yourself. I mean, you are putting out energy to produce, nutrients into your milk that you're not using for yourself. If you were to let yourself get run down, not eat well, not eat a balanced diet, etc. it *could* "take it out of you". Just like getting stressed can "take it out of you", or lack of sleep can "take it out of you".

However, I think that most BF Momma's are more in tuned with their bodies. We've made the choice to BF and know that we need to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of our LO's.

I blame daycare cooties. No one can fight off those super bugs.

If you were really malnourished, BF'ing could definitely take it out of you. But not many women in the developed world fit that description!

You can call me JoMo!

It's nice to have a nursing break! I wish I could keep having them except my DD only wants to nurse at night now. I don't think nursing takes it out of you, just being a mom does
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

thanks for replies ladies great to know other mums feel the same, My ds is a whirlwind - a very happy one some days i love it! other days i feel a bit grumpy with it