Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pregnant and weaning

Default Pregnant and weaning

Hi, I have a 16 1/2 month old and I just found out I am pregnant with number 2! I am still breastfeeding. I have already been trying to wean and over the past 4 months have got it down to nursing down to his morning and afternoon naps, nursing down to sleep for the night and one feeding in the middle of the night (for the most part). He is VERY much a comfort nurser. BUT I am SO ready to be done. I have been, but now that I am pregnant again I am even more desperate to be done. I would love a little break before the new baby arrives for one, and now my nipples are starting to become sore.

I have tried giving him sippy cups of warmed Almond or coconut milk (dairy allergy) and he will casually drink it before bedtime, but once it's time to go down to sleep, he wants 'na na' and that's final. I have also tried getting him attatched to stuffed animals or a blankie, but no avail.

Any suggestions on a good weaning book or any tips on what the next step should be in the weaning process?

Default Re: Pregnant and weaning

This is where we are too. DD is just nursing at night and it HURTS. I am hoping she will stop soon for the same reasons.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*greenmom7 View Post
    Any suggestions on a good weaning book or any tips on what the next step should be in the weaning process?
    Can your partner put him to bed at night? My DH put my daughter to bed and then I would go to her when she woke up. After a few months, I stopped going to her at night, my DH would go in there. She handled the transition really well and went from waking 3 plus times a night to sleeping 11 hours a night without waking, unless she has a nightmare or something.

The night nursing was the toughest for me when I was pregnant.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I used the Jay Gordon method to night wean when I was pregnant. And for nursing to sleep I would tell her I was going to sing twinkle twinkle three times and then no more milk. then I would remind her in between repetitions, "two more times and no more milk...one more time and no more milk." It was only a few days in that she started unlatching on her own when I'd finish the third repetition. It wasn't always easy, but it worked and it only took a couple of weeks. When she'd get upset I'd let her choose a different song to make her feel like she had some say in what was happening. It was nice for me too because sometimes it hurt more than other times and if it was really bugging me I could sing faster or if it wasn't I could sing slower.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for you input everyone. I will try an gives those things a try!

The singing reminds me of something else I did Paige... for a long time when I wanted Lilah to do something, I would tell her that she needed to do it by the time we counted to 10 and then I would "help" her do whatever it was, like getting out of the bath or picking up toys, etc. When the nursing pain (or emotions -that was the hardest for me) got to be too much, I would say, I'm going to count to 10 and then we're going to be all done. By the time we were almost weaned, I would get to 2 or 3 and she would unlatch and say "I all done."
    Tracie

Mommy to

Oh and on the lovey thing... Lilah didn't seem to get attached to any of her stuffed animals or dolls until she was around 2 years old. I'm not sure if it was because of the age, or because I wasn't sleeping with her anymore, or a combination of the two. I have seen kids younger than her that haul around a lovey, but they've all been cry it out babies.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Oh and on the lovey thing... Lilah didn't seem to get attached to any of her stuffed animals or dolls until she was around 2 years old. I'm not sure if it was because of the age, or because I wasn't sleeping with her anymore, or a combination of the two.
    That's interesting, I noticed the exact same thing about Nora. She never got attached to anything until about 2 years old. Right around the time I had Davis.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Norasmommy, the songs and the pace of singing are a nice idea, I'll keep that tucked away if necessity calls. Madeline is so young (13mos), I'm not sure she will understand everything, but if I need it, I'll do it!

I just read this and it spoke to me:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep03p90.html

also
    http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/a...ing_birth.html

I've been noticing impatience on my part, compounded when I either feel Braxton-Hicks contractions or when the baby moves at night while we are nursing. Then other times I'm okay. Luckily there's no real nursing pain. Once I felt a terrible cramp and I refused to nurse afterward.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    I've been noticing impatience on my part, compounded when I either feel Braxton-Hicks contractions or when the baby moves at night while we are nursing. Then other times I'm okay. Luckily there's no real nursing pain. Once I felt a terrible cramp and I refused to nurse afterward.
    I was wondering if you are having any pains. I have the nipple pain during first latch - it's like she's a newborn again. I can't stand it! I have felt a little crampy at times, but not really contractions. I have to read those links you posted.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby