Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: yucky rash

Question yucky rash

My DS has a rash on his face. I have tried giving short baths and using non fragranced lotions, but it just won't go away. It seems to get really dry during the day even if I put lotion on. I thought it may be eczema but it is only on his face. I was using johnson's baby lotion but it made the rash worse . DS has been fighting thrush for a few weeks and I know the yeast can spread to his bum, which it hasn't but can it spread to his face? Wondering if anyone has advice or ideas as to what could be causing this...(I hope it is not allergies).

Default Re: yucky rash

Could it be a teething rash caused by the surplus drool? If thats the case its better to just keep his face clean and dry. I wouldn't put anything on it.

1) how old is your LO?
    2) have you contacted your pedi?
    3) where specif. is the rash? (forehead, chin, all over?)
    4) Does it seem to be bothering your LO?
    If we have a little more info, someone may have had a similar experience with what ever your describing. I do recom. if possible you contact your pedi so that they are 1) made aware of any possible allergies, and 2) may be able to prescibe your LO something to help.
    This link goes over some common baby rashes...

http://www.lpch.org/HealthLibrary/Pa...irthmarks.html

Good luck, HTH

could just be heat rash... don't put any lotions on it at all, just pat gently w/ water. HTH.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Maybe newborn acne? If so, you don't want to treat it. Just wash your LOs face with water a few times a day. I would skip the lotion and any soap. How old is your LO?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Is your baby rubbing or scratching his face? Eczema can just be on the face!

I just called my ped's office this afternoon b/c my 6 week old dd has been clawing/rubbing and scratching at her face constantly. She had bumps and some red blotchy patches. I finally realized that it probably wasn't normal newborn face scratching & maybe it was something else besides infant acne.

Call your ped - mine asked me to come in so she can check it out - could be dermatitis or eczema - or nothing. Apparently you can get something for the rash (if it's not plain old infant acne) but they have to figure out what it could be first. HTH!

Amy
    Baby #3, 9-8-06

My daughter had some rough, dry patches after the first few weeks. I used the Lansinoh Lanolin that I used on my nipples, and it cleared with 48 hours. Still, if it seems really bad, and is making baby uncomfy, then I'd call the doc.

Thanks for all the advice ladies... my babe is 10 weeks old, we don't have ped's were I live we hardly have enough doctors, but anyways. I did manage to get in to the clinic and my doc said it looks like eczema. I have to use glaxal base b/c the rash dries out and bleeds, poor baby. I never had these kind of problems with my 1st son, so distressing! I am wondering if the eczema is caused by allergies... I used to get eczema in winter when I was around horses, I sometimes wonder if he is allergic to our cats or something I am eating... makes ya think.

I know a couple of people with eczema, and they both say it is allergy related. I also remember reading that people with allergies are more prone toget eczema then people that dont have allergies. I could be wrong, but it may be something to look into.

All three of mine have had the same problem. Try cleaning only with soap and water. Moisturize with vaseline or A&D ointment. A&D is for diaper rash. Make sure you get the ointment NOT the cream (ointment is in a white tube with gold/brownish label). That has helped it clear on my babies. My youngest is 12 weeks and we just went through it. Put the ointment on throughout the day but be sure not to wash with anything except water. Good luck.