Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping without pregnancy

Default Pumping without pregnancy

I am adopting a baby girl in 6 weeks and I am trying very hard to produce milk so that I can provide breast milk to the baby. I have started pumping but don't think I am doing enough. 10 min each side 2-3 times a day. I am also drinking the Yogi tea, 3x daily and am taking 1.50 ml of tincture blend daily.
    I know that the likelihood I can produce is low since I had a hysterectomy 2 months ago and have zero estrogen. However, I have always been an "overachiever" in the boob area and so I was hopeful. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Default Re: Pumping without pregnancy

maybe post in the relactating thread. There may be more help there. Also talk to your doctor, there are some drugs you can get prescribed. Good luck
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

you might find something helpful here
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

do you have older children?

Check out that link from Andrea. IIRC, there's a lot more you can do to induce lactation. Don't worry about the hysterectomy, though: you really don't need a uterus to produce milk since milk production is controlled by the brain, not the womb. And I know someone IRL who had a hysterectomy and breastfed her adopted child.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

both of u, perfect! exactly what I needed! thx!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goldsoul View Post
    I am adopting a baby girl in 6 weeks and I am trying very hard to produce milk so that I can provide breast milk to the baby. I have started pumping but don't think I am doing enough. 10 min each side 2-3 times a day. I am also drinking the Yogi tea, 3x daily and am taking 1.50 ml of tincture blend daily.
    I know that the likelihood I can produce is low since I had a hysterectomy 2 months ago and have zero estrogen. However, I have always been an "overachiever" in the boob area and so I was hopeful. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    I think it would help to pump more often if you can. I would try to mimic how a baby eats. Also - Domperidone ROCKS!!! I am also planning to adopt a baby in less than 3 weeks. I started pumping 2.5 weeks ago and I think that things are going well. However, I didn't realize how hard this would be when I started - it is easy to feel discouraged.

I pump for about 15 minutes every 1-2 hours - except for at night (i only wake up about 1-2 times - it is so hard to wake up without a baby and not much milk). While pumping, I massage my breasts and occasionally take the pump off and hand express. I get more milk by hand expressing - but the pump helps with nipple stimulation. I am getting about 1/8 - 1/4 of an oz every hour. This amount seems to be increasing every day. I am also taking 10 mg of domperidone 3 times per day and fenugreek.

By they way - it took about a week an a half to get any real significant amounts of milk and I had been taking domperidone for about 4 days.

I try not to stress about it - but I hope that I have more milk when the baby is born.

Best of luck to you with your adoption!!!

I was also going to suggest pumping more often... if you are trying to stimulate a supply from scratch, you definitely need to be pumping every 2 hours or so. And I also agree some Domperidone might help, so maybe look into getting a script so you can help get your supply going. Good luck mama!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.