Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Partum Hair Loss!!!!

Unhappy Post Partum Hair Loss!!!!

So another question I had was about post partum hair loss! I did experience this with DS1 but I feel its MUCH worse this time around! I have chunks falling off as I am washing my hair!!! It freaks me out, although I know its totally normal. I just wanted to know if anyone had any "fix" for this? Any special shampoo? Vitamins? Treatments???

I remember with DS1 it stopped being so bad at around 6months post partum then got fully better by around 1 year. I hope I dont go bald by then! My hair is so thin!!!!!!!
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Default Re: Post Partum Hair Loss!!!!

Mine was worse with #2 too No magic cures, it started about 3 months PP and lasted about 6 months. He's 14 months now and the new hairs growing in are about 4 inches long now, it doesn't lend itself to much of a style just another badge of motherhood

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

with the PP. No magic cures. But it will come back. Best treatment until then is a short, layered hairstyle that disguises the thinness...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PP. No magic cures. But it will come back. Best treatment until then is a short, layered hairstyle that disguises the thinness...
    I didn't cut my whole hair short (I found it was nice to be able to put it up in a ponytail, where I didn't have to think about the shedding for a few minutes), but ... I highly recommend BANGS once the hair starts to grow in - you'll have 'em anyway, you might as well get an actual style!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ugh...it got worse with each child for me. It is a little freaky when you are pulling hand fulls of hair out of the drain EVERY.TIME.YOU.SHOWER. It will come back though.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post
    Ugh...it got worse with each child for me.
    I don't want to hear that! I was AMAZED at how much hair was falling out with Joe. Every shower was a mess, my coats were all a mess, my DH actually accused me of having that disorder where you obsessively pull out your hair! (Forgetting the name of it.) He's like "maybe if you stopped messing with it so much it wouldn't fall out?" Dude, it was ALREADY out, I was just pulling out it out of the rest of my hair, all day long, every day.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I hope it doesn't get worse for every child for me! It was awful with ds, chunks of hair! I plan to cut my hair short around 3 months for future babies because my hair was super long with ds and it was disgusto. Op, it does grow back and eventually stop!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

I asked my doctor about this last week. She said part of it is because your hormones disrupt your normal hair shedding patterns when you're preggo. How long it continues is dependent upon how stressed your body is after delivery, with breast feeding, etc.

She just said to keep eating healthy, vitamins, exercise, etc. It will help your body get back to it's regular rhythm. But it can go as long as a year post-partum.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I thought I was the only one. I just googled it today to find out what the heck was going on. I don't think I shed one hair on my head during my whole pregnancy and my son's first 3 months. Now all of a sudden this week I've got hair falling out by the hand full. Glad to hear I'm not alone...but it still sucks

This was very alarming for me with my second. I actually had to cut my hair really short. It stopped about 1 year and my hair is growing out again. I personally think there is nothing you can really do about it.

Totally clogged up my bathroom sink too!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09