Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: skipping the bottle

Default skipping the bottle

My LO is only 2 1/2 months but I'm just thinking ahead here. I've read from a variety of sources of how one can skip the bottle altogether if they can get their baby to drink from a cup. That way, you won't have to go through the additional task (an often difficult one) of weaning from the bottle.

Has anyone been successful at this? I BF my baby and sometimes give her an occasional bottle so that when I need to be away from her, she won't starve. I'm still deciding on how long I will be BF my baby, but it would be great that if I do decide to wean early, I can wean her to a cup instead of a bottle. Right now, my goal is to BF at least 6 months and shooting for a year. When can babies start drinking from a cup?

Default Re: skipping the bottle

my last 3 babies never had a bottle..
    well my 10 year old had about 4 when he was 10-15 weeks old when I had a class I was taking. If I had to do that again I just would have taken him with me to class he was so tiny he could have nursed in a sling and nobody would have known what he was doing. My last 2 I didn't even own a bottle.

just wanted to add that newborns can drink from a cup it's messy but they can do it.

so, how did you do it? keeping them off the bottle?