Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Choking when Let Down

Question Baby Choking when Let Down

My baby chokes every time my milk lets down. I have tried different holds and positions but it still happens. He is swallowing excessive air as a result and having terrible stomach pains. I was told that pumping prior to nursing until after let down is achieved would help but I have not been able to hand express for that to happen and do not own a pump. Also, the baby is still nursing quite frequently, sometimes every 20-30 minutes which doesn't really leave me much time to pump at all. Also, if he has to wait even a minute to nurse from first giving his "signs" that he's hungry, he becomes very aggresive when latching on. Is pumping a good idea in this scenario? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Baby Choking when Let Down

you could try this: when he starts to choke and sputter pull him off the breast and let your milk either run into a cup if you want to save it or into a wash cloth, then after the flow slows down a bit put him back on.
    Hes going to get mad but it might help.

how are his poops?
    If they are green you might have over active let down.
    you can try block feeding , where the baby feeds from only one breast for a time period. That way the baby gets more hindmilk.

try and call a lll leader in your area they can help you more figure out what is going on its hard to help out on-line

andrea's advice on block feeding is great - I had the same problem, and it had decreased lots since, although he still chokes once in a while

I also had the over active let down and still do to a certain extent. Ds used to choke and sputter also but not as 9 months he handles it very well, seems to be able to control it with his tongue? It will get better! Blessings

Hi there!

Some other things that work for moms/babies with overactive letdown are:

1. Keep baby's head higher than bottom.
    2. Upright to prone feeding positions can help. Latch ds and then lie back so that he is lying on top of you. Or position him in a sort-of sitting position for feedings.
    3. Hold ds upright after feedings. A 45 degree angle usually helps a lot.
    4. If he is spitting up during diaper changes, change him on his side or with head elevated.

Let us know how things are going!

I had the same problem with DS and what really helped me is to nurse him "sitting up"... and I mean him sitting. Basically I would hold him so he was sitting upright at the breast and then once letdown happened I could let him lay back down.

It was really frustrating at first and I felt so bad for the little guy... but honestly I can't even remember how long it lasted because it seemed to quickly correct itself over time.

Stick with it mama! Try some of the suggestions until you find what works best for you