Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Refuses to Nurse and Co-Sleep...HELP!

Default Baby Refuses to Nurse and Co-Sleep...HELP!

My son is 2 months old (9 weeks) and I want to co-sleep with him. I co-slept with my previous two children with no problem. He will nurse laying down and fall asleep but once he is done nursing, his eyes open and he won't settle down. I will try to nurse him again to get him to sleep and he won't. I then put him in the swing where he immediately falls asleep. He does the same thing during the day when he is nursing in my arms. He will fall asleep but once he comes off of my nipple he wakes up and won't sleep on my chest. Could it be silent reflux or something else bothering him? I thought all babies would want to sleep with their moms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Baby Refuses to Nurse and Co-Sleep...HELP!

they are all diffent, he's little yet maybe he'll change his habbits when he gets a little bit bigger.

I had one who would nurse for hours and not got to sleep, and 3 sucks on a passifer and he was out like a light.
    Have you tried swaddling? maybe that would help support his body some?

Wanting to be constantly upright can be a sign of colic or reflux. Does your baby have any other symptoms?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It could be reflux, it could simply be he prefers sleeping in a semi-reclined position rather than being flat. Will he sleep if you hold him upright on your chest?
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

My baby doesn't sleep well with me. She's a live-wire in general- always moving, kicking, flailing. She sleeps much better in the co-sleeper next to the bed than she does on my chest, in my arms, or even a foot away from me in bed. She just wakes up if she comes into contact with me while she moves in her sleep. So I gave up the idea of co-sleeping at night, though I totally enjoy nursing laying down during the day! I think we all have to just watch and listen to our babies and respect that some of them won't like what we think they should. I hope you can find what works for you and your baby.

He won't sleep when he is on my chest either. Today he won't even sleep in the swing! I was listening to a ton of bubbles move around in his belly earlier so maybe it is gas pains?? I have tried the co-sleeper too and he wakes up once I lay him down.

Does he curl his legs in on his tummy and have sort of a "eairh" sounding cry? Does he feel better with pressure on his belly? Those are signs of gas.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Our babies could learn a lot from each other! Mine's the opposite - she'll sleep fine as long as she's on my chest or right snuggled up to me. Sometimes she'll have naps on her own during the day, but at night, if I try to sneek away for a midnight pee or even just move a few inches away to get comfortable, her "mommy radar" comes on and she starts waking up (and she's 5 1/2 monthys old). I feel for you, because cosleeping is sooo wonderful, but I'm also kinda jealous... do you think we could throw them in the blender and get two healthy mediums out of the deal ? ;-)
    good luck!

It may happen as your child may not feel comfortable about this. Something might be bothering him. This might not be a problem, once your child gets habitual of sleeping along with you.

DD didn't like to co sleep until 4 months.Try sitting on an exercise ball and gently bouncing while swaddled then lay him down after he's asleep. If he wakes after sleeping for a bit with you it could be you (motion, breathing) or some other non-cosleeping issue. DD slept in a sidecar until her sleep patterns changed. All kids are different. Hang in there.