Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing, pumping, feeding...how to schedule

Default Nursing, pumping, feeding...how to schedule

My baby was 6 weeks early and spent 10 days in the NICU receiving formula, with no attempts to BF. In addition to the obstacle, I also had a breast reduction 11 years ago. I have been pumping religiously since day 1, every 2-3 hours for 15-20 minutes (Medela Lactina). My supply is increasing, but still getting about 1.5 oz per session. I'm hoping it will continue to increase (just started More Milk Special Blend).
    I am attempting to put baby to the breast when she exhibits hunger signs and prior to scheduled feedings. What I'm having a hard time with is how to schedule the nursing, pumping, bottle feeding routine. If I pump prior to nursing (immediately), my nipples seem to be way to large for my little baby (she's still only 5lbs). Any suggestions on how to do this routine? Should I pump everytime we attempt nursing? When you aren't EBF, how can you tell how much the baby is getting from the breast?
    I know the suggestion will be to see an LC, I did and she wasnt any help at all (saw 2x). I'm going to see if there are any others in the area and will attend a LLL mtg this coming week.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Nursing, pumping, feeding...how to schedule

well, usually you would pump after each feed forom the bottle, but you are also nursing LO. Is your LO able to just nurse without needing the bottle?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I would pump after any nursing session you attempt; assuming you have milk pumped, you (or someone else) can give that to him if needed while pumping.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I just went through this with my Preemies. The hardest thing Alexa had was that she was taking the nipple- but not far enough in to stimulate the sucking reflux.

i would nurse then pump.
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet