Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leaking Milk While Breastfeeding???

Question Leaking Milk While Breastfeeding???

Every time I breastfeed my four week old son, milk gets EVERYWHERE! It dribbles down the side of his mouth onto his shoulder, onto the boppy pillow, and then over onto the blanket underneath, too! Is it normal for babies to dribble milk out of one side of their mouth while eating? This isn't just a little bit of milk, it's TONS..big huge wet spots everywhere! LOL! His clothes become soaked and I have to change him...it's so odd!

Default Re: Leaking Milk While Breastfeeding???

I've never had that problem but a friend of mine has a HUGE oversupply and when she BFs her dd she put either a burp cloth or sometimes even a recieving blanket under her dds neck and chin area.

Wish I could be more help but like I said I have never had this experience. Is this happening only when you are over full or always?

I would bet that you have an OALD and that this is a way that your babe is dealing w/it? Actually if that's the case this is probably much less traumatic for you than some of the symptoms that babies can display in their frustration w/OALD. I would say it shows wonderful coping skills early! And as many new outfits that you "justify" one day!! Those itty bitty clothes only fit for like 1minute!

Wink Re: Leaking Milk While Breastfeeding???

Quote Originally Posted by Hunoosh View Post
    I've never had that problem but a friend of mine has a HUGE oversupply and when she BFs her dd she put either a burp cloth or sometimes even a recieving blanket under her dds neck and chin area.

Wish I could be more help but like I said I have never had this experience. Is this happening only when you are over full or always?
    It happens ALL the time..lol. Oh well, there are worse problems, right? Thanks girl!

Talking Re: Leaking Milk While Breastfeeding???

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I would bet that you have an OALD and that this is a way that your babe is dealing w/it? Actually if that's the case this is probably much less traumatic for you than some of the symptoms that babies can display in their frustration w/OALD. I would say it shows wonderful coping skills early! And as many new outfits that you "justify" one day!! Those itty bitty clothes only fit for like 1minute!
    Yeah I change his clothes constantly, and we go through a lot of bibs, too. But he seems to not be unhappy with the problem at ALL! He makes cute little suckling noises and just eats like a little piggie.

Can you try to pump a little bit out first before nursing him? Maybe that would help.

Red face Re: Leaking Milk While Breastfeeding???

Quote Originally Posted by Loadsangel View Post
    Can you try to pump a little bit out first before nursing him? Maybe that would help.
    Thanks..I have been doing that and it helps a lot. I just worry about nursing in public or at other people's houses and having the milk get everywhere..lol.

I've got the same issue, but I am on my second BF child and its happened with both of them. What I do is I use cloth diapers like crazy! I actually tuck the diaper into my bra once I have the bra pulled down. Then I tuck it between the baby's chin and clothes so that he doesn't get all messy. The diapers are soooo absorbent! Its a task doing it in public without giving everyone a show. I just make sure to pull the blanket over me while getting ready to feed, then i grab the baby and hook him up. He is pretty used to it. We go through about 3-5 cloth diapers a day. Sometimes there isn't alot of leakage onto the diaper, sometimes its so much that I only get one use out of a clean diaper. But also note that my right side leaks ALOT with letdown so if he turns his head and doesn't latch, I have to absorb it with the diaper instead of getting it up his nose and in his ear. But I recommend the cloth diaper. Not sure why I started using them but they are WONDERFUL for this situation because of absorbtion. Get good quality cloth diapers, not the decorative ones used for burb cloths only. I get mine from Target. They have packs of 10-12 that are all white and work wonderfully!

It sounds like you have LOTS of milk! If this is your only symptom, I would not let it bother you too much. But I just wanted to add that positioning can help with oversupply. If you try to keep ds's head higher than his bottom when nursing, that can help a great deal. Many moms find the upright position really helps. Baby is sort of "seated" in moms lap to nurse. You can also latch ds on and then lie back on a chair of couch. Then he really has gravity on his side! (Of course if it doesn't work then you will be soaked as well! ) Hang in there, many moms find this challenge will subside as baby gets older and supply adjusts to his needs. Right now you are still in the beginning stages of nursing!

This happens once in a while with my DS as well. It's not a whole lot, but I will feel the milk streaming out of his mouth and over the hand that is supporting my breast. Added to the milk that leaks from the breast not being used, and this breastfeeding business gets pretty sloppy.