Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct or worse?

Default plugged duct or worse?

I've been nervous for the past few weeks about a bump on my right breast.
    It's been there for awhile now maybe 2-2.5 weeks, as far as i've noticed it. It' gets hard and small when my right breast is completely full of milk, and at letdown it's flabby and i can't find it , or find it as well when empty. I haven't had a chance to get it checked since we are new to the area and haven't had a chance to find a new ob yet, but thoughts would be great!

I haven't been aggressively trying to get rid of it, when i am in the shower i'll massage it for a minute, and when i feed on that side i occassionally rub it but haven't done much.

Default Re: plugged duct or worse?

The fact that the bump seems to disappear after you nurse points to a plugged duct. Not a bad plug, because those are so blocked that they can't shrink much. I wouldn't worry about it unless it suddenly stops draining/shrinking.

Regarding the OB issue- since you're in a new town, I encourage you to look into midwifery care as an option. I really prefer midwifery care. The standard of care is just as high as with an ob, but the approach is totally different. Much more compassionate, much more focused on keeping you well instead of fixing you when you're sick.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Does the lump feel painful or tender, especially when breast is full? If so it might be a plugged duct. I would always get them in the same places.Check out: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

If it doesn't hurt maybe its a cyst that fills with milk? Not sure about that you might want to get it checked out..
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

it's not painful at all, and it's been there for a few weeks now, that's why im worried, the only thing i seem to be comforted by is that after LO is done eating, it's harder to find.