Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gallbladder Issues and Breastfeeding?

Thumbs down Gallbladder Issues and Breastfeeding?

When I was 38 weeks pregnant, I learned I had some pretty severe gallstones, pancreatitis and a bad gallbladder. The surgeon on call at the hospital did not wish to do much about it surgically at the time because it was too risky, however, he wanted me to have my gallbladder and the stones removed right away after the birth of my baby.

The baby was born on Sept. 28th and is now almost 4 weeks old. We are happily breastfeeding and I don't wish for the feeding to be interrupted, yet I am beginning to have some very painful gallbladder attacks. I have noticed that whenever the attacks occur, if I pump or breastfeed a lot during them, they go right away!?!? Is that just coincidence?

I had problems with my first child's breastfeeding..he refused to latch. We stopped at four weeks. With my second child, we got a bad case of thrush and stopped at 6 weeks. This is my third and final baby...and I don't want ANYTHING to interrupt his breastfeeding, which is going so wonderfully, but I am in pain and need this surgery. What do I do?

Default Re: Gallbladder Issues and Breastfeeding?

From your pp it seems like you have a pretty good supply. Can you possibly start to pump and get up a supply so that you will have it when you go to the hosp? GB surgery is usually only outpatient. I had mine out 12 yrs ago. Recovery is pretty quick. I only had a few small holes or spots where they go in and take it out and one where they look through the scope. Good luck. Pump everyday and start saving those bags! It should only be 2 days tops that you won't be able to BF. Good luck we're here for you!

Unhappy Re: Gallbladder Issues and Breastfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunoosh View Post
    From your pp it seems like you have a pretty good supply. Can you possibly start to pump and get up a supply so that you will have it when you go to the hosp? GB surgery is usually only outpatient. I had mine out 12 yrs ago. Recovery is pretty quick. I only had a few small holes or spots where they go in and take it out and one where they look through the scope. Good luck. Pump everyday and start saving those bags! It should only be 2 days tops that you won't be able to BF. Good luck we're here for you!
    I've started doing that. However, sometimes he refuses bottles, depending upon his mood, so I am a little worried. I give him one bottle a day to keep him fresh, but he doesn't always enjoy it. I am afraid he won't eat from them while I am gone.

A lll leader could help you figure out how to talk to your doctor.
    Most of the times moms can nurse as soon as the feal like it after surgury if the doctor knows that you are nursing before hand, and gives you meds that are ok to nurse with.
    Like the pp said most of the time its simple over night stay type of deal.
    There are few stories on the lll webs site about moms having to be in the hosiptal.
    hope you are fealing beter soon.

Sorry if this comment will sound mean, it's not meant to...but don't be too worried about your precious one not taking the bottle...my experience is that if they get hungry enough they will eventually take the bottle. You just have to be consistant while giving it. Don't give in too easily. Just make sure you get well soon mom!