Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diminishing Milk Supply?

Default Diminishing Milk Supply?

I had a rather 'festive' week last week and drank more alcohol than I should have. Now, I'm noticing I'm not pumping as much. Did I permanently damage my milk supply, or will this correct itself? Please, no lashings - I feel bad enough as it is.

Default Re: Diminishing Milk Supply?

I've never heard of alcohol damaging supply....I have actually heard the opposite! There are those that the believe the yeast in beer actually increases supply. But if your seeing a drop in your supply could it be because your worrying about it? Stress will affect your supply. That we know for sure! I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Are you dehydrated (even a little)? I found that drinking more water helps me. (and I think alcohol does cause dehydration)

As the pp mentioned, you may be dehydrated, so drink plenty of water and take a deep breath I've used mothers milk tea or camomile when I felt like I was not producing enough, (I have latley been having an oversupply issue though) I think the combination of the tea and the relaxation help. you could also increase your feedings if you continue to have an issue with low supply.
    the following link is about how to increase your supply:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Last edited by surfinrn&mom2mason; October 24th, 2006 at 02:49 PM. Reason: adding

Relax? What's that? Hmmm - stress affecting my supply? Let's see - I work full-time, have about an hour commute each way, I make sure I pump 3 times a day for 15 minutes, plus my husband is very picky about having a clean home, so, what stress?? I do take fenugreek. Maybe I just need to slow down a bit.