Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: take LO to the hospital or doctor??

Default Re: take LO to the hospital or doctor??

If you were able to pump anything in only 5 minutes after a long nursing session I really doubt you have any supply issues. 1/2 oz in 5 minutes is actually pretty good.

The absolute best indicator of adequate supply is your LO's diapers. Six wet diapers and several poopy ones tells me you are doing fine.

Keep nursing and try not to worry. Put the pump and supplements away. Instead, work on perfecting your latch and try nursing while laying down so you can get some rest during those long nursing sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Put down the pump! The wet and poopy diapers indicate he's getting enough and the reason babies nurse so much in a growth spurt is they are signaling your body to ramp up production, formula and supplements interfer with that so nurse nurse nurse
    And in addition, the baby is MUCH more effective at removing milk than the pump will EVER be! Honestly, if you got 1/2 oz in 5 minutes after nursing all day and night, your supply is just fine! He is having plenty of wets and poops to indicate your supply is great!

Mama, just let go of everything you had thought this was going to be like. Your baby boy is sooooo young. He is trying to grow that little body and mind of his. He is doing exactly what he should be doing. He is going to your breast for food and comfort. Really, what more could a mother ask for. Let go of every notion you have in your mind of what you should be doing or what you need to be cleaning or where you need to be going. Take these next several weeks to love on your baby boy, nurse him, and help him grow strong. Snuggle him, nurse him, cosleep with him, love on him and don't worry about ANYTHING else. Even if you house is a mess, let it be! You can clean it up at another time. Your little boy will not be this small and need you this much forever. Your sole job right now is to nurse and love this little boy. And that IS IT. If you need to get up and out and get some fresh air, look into getting a ringsling, or a moby. Then your baby gets the snuggles from you that he wants and needs and you can nurse while still staying covered (if that makes you nervous) and still have a hand free. Honestly, mama, let go of everything that you thought it should be like and go with his and your instincts. If you get nervous, count his wets and poos again and let that be your guide. You guys will make it through this!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

I've been there. No sleep is no fun but you'll get thru it. As others said don't supliment. Especially nit formula. Your LO probably spit up from being overfed or maybe fom the dairy in formula. Just forget about that and spend ti
    E with your LO. This growth spurt will pass.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinewife View Post
    also i need to point out that he's had 2 or 3 poop diapers (normal poop, not explosive or anything) and more than 6 wet diapers
    So you are Good. There is no problem. Babies eating nonstop is NOT a problem. Step away from the pump and the self doubt. It's all normal newborn growth spurt stuff. And YES it's going to last for DAYS.

Way too lazy for formula

also i need to point out that he's had 2 or 3 poop diapers (normal poop, not explosive or anything) and more than 6 wet diapers
    This is great!!! You've got PLENTY of milk and you're satisfying his needs. So pack away the formula. You don't need it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Leave the pump alone, take care of baby! Go eat something instead of pump. Just nurse, nurse nurse!
    DS1 Chase John Born 6/30/04
    DS2 Van Gunner 6/22/10
    DD1 Adelynn Grace 1/20/14

thanks everyone!!! feeling much better about this, i'm taking advice to heart and nursing, nursing, and nursing!!

how long do these little growth spurts "last"? when do they peak? a few days? a week?

Usually a few days, usually they come at one week, three weeks, Etc. Check out this link
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

The only thing I disagree with in the link is that they say during the spurt a baby may nurse as often as every hour, my DS2 just went through his first one and he was freaking and acting like I was starving him and basically nursing non stop.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

oh thank God i'm not alone!! I can't put LO down!!! haha

thanks everyone!!! feeling much better about this, i'm taking advice to heart and nursing, nursing, and nursing!!
    Good! You're doing the right thing for your little one, mama!