Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: take LO to the hospital or doctor??

Default take LO to the hospital or doctor??

it's almost 12 at night, and i wonder if we should take LO to go get seen. He's been eating ALL DAY AND NIGHT, he may have had maybe one hour of sleep, other than that, he's been nursing all day and night, off and on - 10-30 minutes at a time go to sleep for 5 minutes and then wanting to nurse again. I have even given him 1 oz of enfamil formula to see if he's not getting enough, he spit up a little but wanted to eat more and more, so i offered my breast again. I have no clue what to do at this point. Any ideas?? He's 3 weeks, but i don't think this is normal.

Default Re: take LO to the hospital or doctor??

Is the only thing that's wrong that he's continuously nursing? Or does he have a fever, labored breathing or anything else?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Do you know how to nurse laying down? It can really help you to catch some zzz's and to take the edge off of cluster feeding. They're tough, so getting in a nap here or there can really make a difference.

You may want to read this:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Sounds normal. You don't need the formula. Just keep nursing. If your baby is hungry - you need to let him nurse. If you supplement with formula you're missing a chance to cue your body to make milk, which is on a true supply and demand cycle. I know it's exhausting, but try to lay down like the pp said. It will get easier. It just takes time. 3 weeks is still super young.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Three weeks is a growth spurt for many babies. The behavior you describe is normal absent any other symptoms. . It should only last a few days. Hang in there
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

alrighty ladies, i feel a little bit better, i've just been frantic, because he hasn't slept all day and now night, just one hour, and he's been nursing for the rest of the time.

nope, no other symptoms, thank goodness!

They can nurse and sleep. So he probably has more than an hour. I'd try side laying to nurse. I prop my back with a pillow. Saved my life!

Keep up the good work.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

well i'm also wondering if my milk supply is low? i don't have an electric pump until tomorrow so i've been using a manual pump..

just now, afteri 've been nursing all day and night, i tried pumping for 5 minutes, and only got a half ounce. either he's sucking me dry or i'm not making enough??

also i need to point out that he's had 2 or 3 poop diapers (normal poop, not explosive or anything) and more than 6 wet diapers

Put down the pump! The wet and poopy diapers indicate he's getting enough and the reason babies nurse so much in a growth spurt is they are signaling your body to ramp up production, formula and supplements interfer with that so nurse nurse nurse
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language