Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two Pumping Questions

Default Two Pumping Questions

My son is 2 weeks and 2 days old. He is a good latcher, a fast nurser, and things are generally going well. I have two questions on pumping though, one more pressing, so I'll start there:

My right breast is abnormally full today. I am so uncomfortable (not painful). He nurses very quickly and 90% of the time, only on one side. At his last session I really tried to get him to take this side also, but he made his "I don't want it" face (eyes looking away, lips pursed in a little rosebud). Is there ever a time that it's appropriate to pump to relieve the pressure? My gut says no, since then I'll end up making this much every day, right? I had to hand express some, and I've been leaking also, but its extremely full again and I just don't know what else to do at this point. Will it correct itself? I'm also not sure what I did to make it this full in the first place. I'm exhausted but can't nap because it's so uncomfortable.

Second question; I plan on feeding him almost exclusively from the breast. But I know there are going to be times that he will need a bottle. Specifically, we have a military ball in April, and I will definitely be gone for awhile that night. When would be the best time to start pumping to save milk for the occasional bottle? I don't need a lot at all, we are moving in June, so building up a supply is unnecessary and wasteful.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have in advance!

Default Re: Two Pumping Questions

I pump only first thing in the morning before that feeding when sypply is at it's peak. It's mainly just to take the edge off my letdown and get to the hindmilk. I pump about an ounce and a half to two total.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I would continue to hand express just enough to relieve the pressure. You are correct that continuing to pump will just make it worse.

For your second question: for that small amount of milk (enough for one or two bottles), I would just pump a few days in advance of the event to make sure you have enough. Pick a time, preferably in the morning (b/c thats when most people's supply is best) when you know your baby usually takes a good nap, and pump right after nursing him. Pump both sides, save the milk - it will be good in the fridge for 7-8 days. Freeze only if it's going to be longer than that b/f you use it.

If you aren't going to be working full time, I wouldn't build up a huge freezer stash. It's going to be more trouble than it's worth.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ginakina View Post

My right breast is abnormally full today. I am so uncomfortable (not painful). He nurses very quickly and 90% of the time, only on one side. At his last session I really tried to get him to take this side also, but he made his "I don't want it" face (eyes looking away, lips pursed in a little rosebud). Is there ever a time that it's appropriate to pump to relieve the pressure? My gut says no, since then I'll end up making this much every day, right? I had to hand express some, and I've been leaking also, but its extremely full again and I just don't know what else to do at this point. Will it correct itself? I'm also not sure what I did to make it this full in the first place. I'm exhausted but can't nap because it's so uncomfortable.

Second question; I plan on feeding him almost exclusively from the breast. But I know there are going to be times that he will need a bottle. Specifically, we have a military ball in April, and I will definitely be gone for awhile that night. When would be the best time to start pumping to save milk for the occasional bottle? I don't need a lot at all, we are moving in June, so building up a supply is unnecessary and wasteful.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have in advance!
    You might be just developing a bit of an oversupply on that side. Your instinct is correct. If you were to fully pump that side out right now, you'll just stimulate it to make more milk. When baby wakes up, just nurse him starting on that side. You might need to express a bit to make it so he can latch on. But if you are that uncomfortable, pump a bit on that side for now, get a nap and then feed baby starting with the most full side later.

Do a little research on block feeding and see if that seems like it might help you.

The recommendation is to introduce the bottle after 4-6 weeks, and IMHO, that's a good idea. I didn't do that with my third, and for him to take the occasional bottle -- I worked 4-10 hours a week after his birth, so he had to take a couple bottles a week -- was a battle and a half. He never did like it. I would worry about that more than about the pumping. You can always work in a pumping.

But when you want to save some milk, like if you are going to go out that evening, pump in the morning(s) when most mamas notice they have more milk. Or pump one side and nurse on the other. You won't need to leave a lot of milk. The standard is 1-2 oz per hour you would be away.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!