Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: manual letdown---any tricks

Default manual letdown---any tricks

I am looking for tricks to get a manual letdown. Sometimes I can get a manual letdown by squeezing my nipples, but wondering if there are other tricks, apart from the usual stuff like thinking about baby, smelling clothes, etc.

Default Re: manual letdown---any tricks

In the early days of bfing I ALWAYS got a letdown after getting out of a nice hot bath or shower. Give it a couple minutes and I'd be spraying the walls if I hadn't put my bra and pads on before leaving the bathroom. Now I'm lucky if I get a letdown after 10 mintues of pumping..

-Edit: Oh, and also I had a letdown if I heard another tiny baby screaming, or my own crying and I couldn't get to her in time to feed her. I'd letdown in my bra. :P

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we had problems..
    EP'ED for 3 months!
    Thomas born Feb 14th 2015 by emcs due to him presenting sideways with a hand first! Trying EBF again!

Default Re: manual letdown---any tricks

It may be because I've developed an association for myself (being thirsty and drinking lots whilst nursing), but guzzling water whilst pumping or nursing almost always triggers a let down.

You could try anything that you associate with your baby. When first getting the hang of my pump I would sing all the songs that I usually sang to him - and it often worked.
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!