Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding every 4 hours??

Default feeding every 4 hours??

My daughter is a week and 3 days old. I have been feeding on demand and so far she's eating every 4 hours. From what i've read, it seems like she should be eating every 1-3 hours. Poops are mustardy and seedy looking and she has one or two short active/awake spurts during the day. When she feeds, she stays latched to one for about 20 minutes. By the time she's done, she's asleep so I never have a chance to offer the other breast. I am alternating breasts every feeding and can tell when its been 4 hours because the breast on deck starts to ache a bit. By the time we get ready to feed its leaking.

I am using a nipple shield, because my daughter was born small and my boobs are incredibly hard for her to latch on to because they are so full. The lactation consultant at the hospital suggested I use it for now and try to wean her from when she's bigger. It seems like she is able to get a lot more milk from my breast while using it.

Does this sound normal? She has only been to the doctor once (4 days after birth) to check her weight and they were not concerned then. She goes back this week, but I am just curious if I should be waking her up to feed every 1-3 hours instead of waiting the 4.

I've heard not to wake a sleeping baby because they will tell us what they need.

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated! Being a first time mom, i'm a bit paranoid as many of you can understand i'm sure

Default Re: feeding every 4 hours??

For the firstfew weeks you probably should wake her. Some baby's sleep thru feedings. They usually want newborns to feed 8-12 times a day. Watch your sleeping baby for cues. My LO starts grunting in her sleep if it's been long enough so I gently wake her. If your LO falls asleep after first breast try changing her diaper and offer the other.

Don't get me wrong your doing a good job right now!

Oh and for the breasts try warm compressions and hand express to soften them. Thayer always like that when the milk cones in.
    Last edited by @llli*sailoryue; February 20th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

How many wet and poopy diapers does she have a day?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Right, a nappy count will tell you if she is getting enough.
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17
    and
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

I learned a lot from this page--at four months!

Oops, gotta run!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Counting diapers is a very good idea. But at this very young age, it's probably a good idea to wake your baby every 2-3 hours and try to get her to nurse even if diaper output is normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"