Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unable to breastfeed due to meds...advice?

Default Unable to breastfeed due to meds...advice?

Hi all,

I have taken a medication that I cannot breastfeed with for the next 3 days. My son is 16 months old and, up until tonight, has never gone to bed at night without nursing first. This afternoon, he tried to lift up my shirt, so I have him a bottle of EBM and that seemed to satisfy him. However, he's still wondering why he can't have Mama. He also usually wakes once in the night to nurse.

How am I going to get through the next few days of pumping and dumping??? Any advice on how we're going to do this?
    and working full-time at home

Default Re: Unable to breastfeed due to meds...advice?

What medication are you taking?
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I have been informed by my OB, pediatrician, and pharmacist that the effects of the medication on breastfed babies is unknown, so they have recommended that I not nurse for a couple of days. I have plenty of milk stored, so he'll still be getting that.

A lot of times docs err on the side of caution when it comes to medications and lactation. It's quite possible that they do not know the answer to the question "Is it safe?" or that they gave a "No" answer when it should have been "Not 100%, but if you use it in the following way you'll be okay." You may want to check out Hale's Medications and Mothers' Milk and see if they've given you accurate information.

If you truly can't nurse over the next few days, it seems to me that your best options are:
    1. Get out of the house as much as possible. Distraction is your friend!
    2. Avoid the situations which your LO associates with nursing- if he usually nurses on the couch, avoid the couch.
    3. Get help from friends and family. If you can't nurse the baby down to sleep, maybe Daddy or Grandma can cuddle him to sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannons-mom View Post
    I have been informed by my OB, pediatrician, and pharmacist that the effects of the medication on breastfed babies is unknown, so they have recommended that I not nurse for a couple of days. I have plenty of milk stored, so he'll still be getting that.
    I understand. I honestly was not trying to be prying, but like Mommal pointed out, a lot of times pediatricians/doctors/pharmacists err on the side of caution simply because they are not that educated on breastfeeding. It is much easier to advise to pump and dump rather than take the time to research it. I would definitely reference the link that Mommal provided. Do you have someone that could help you feed your baby with a bottle if he starts to refuse it from you? I found that my sons would refuse a bottle from me, but they would take one from my husband or another family member. Good luck!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Doctors and pharmacists have all told me the same thing, and were very wrong. OBs, pediatricians, family doctors...

I'd highly advise you consult the link mommal gave. You also can call the helpful folks at www.infantrisk.org

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Doctors and pharmacists have all told me the same thing, and were very wrong. OBs, pediatricians, family doctors...

I'd highly advise you consult the link mommal gave. You also can call the helpful folks at www.infantrisk.org

It depends where the doctor is getting his/her information from. Usually they're going by the Physicians' Desk Reference, which invariably says not to breastfeed.

For future reference, the InfantRisk Center is a fantastic resource; you can talk to a counselor about what you're taking and the dose, how to minimize baby's exposure to the med by timing when you nurse, and they have access to the latest evidence-based information. The only problem is that they're not staffed on weekends.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks for the advice! Being a medical professional myself, I have also researched this medication. It is a class X drug. I had a miscarriage and was prescribed cytotec/misoprostol instead of having to have a D & C. Last night was definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. I gave him his bottle, and he only complained a little bit when it was done. I distracted him with his Nuk and rabbit, and he went right to sleep! This morning there has been some heartbreaking shirt-tugging, but I'm just trying to distract him with other things (and love of course ).

If there's any more specific advice from anyone who's taken this, I would love to hear it!