Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom keeps losing weight??

Default Re: Mom keeps losing weight??

I agree with pps that it is a comination of bfing, running after a child, and a lack of sleep along with stress. When I got to 35 lbs under my suggested bmi weight I knew something had to change. I have been drinking smoothies everyday and started drinking whole milk instead of fat free, so far I have gained 4 lbs in a few weeks. I put whole milk yogurt and avacado in the smoothie as well as some protein powder with fruit and that seems to be helping.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

I lost 56 lbs. in the first 5 months after my DD was born. Breastfeeding definitely melted the weight off me, plus we stopped dining out. I was overweight to begin with, though. Now that DD hardly nurses, I've gained back 20 of those lbs. .

Thanks all, I do have issues with diet and weight - Ive know I have been down to an unhealthy point in the past and I tend to think it is a good thing to be about 15 lbs underweight. Thanks for reminding me to take care of myself - both mentally and physically. It's easy to fall in those traps for me, especially when so much else in my life is out of control.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

I was never so lucky. I seemed to get stuck at the same weight with both girls.

HOWEVER, my very good friend did lose a ton with both her kids from breastfeeding. She got to much lower weight that her prepregnancy with both of them.

ETA: And yes I do hate all of you

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

After baby 3, she's 16 months old, I weigh less now than I did before baby 1.

Def take care of yourself- snack often and snack on the right kinds of food. FWIW, I've always been told I'm "underweight" when I go for my first few appts during my pregnancies and they always want me to gain more the "typical" amount, but I've gained 30 lbs with each one, which is "normal." I've never watched my weight or paid much attention to what I'm eating, either. Some people are just smaller than others and lose weight more quickly (higher metabolism?)
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

My first three I went below prepreggo weight, but this time it seems to be more? He's 15 mths and I was 115 prior to, and am 106 now. Course I am running after four kids, but is that too small? I haven't been a size 3 in 15 years! He nurses more than the rest did, maybe that adds to the loss?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryansmomy View Post
    Thanks all, I do have issues with diet and weight - Ive know I have been down to an unhealthy point in the past and I tend to think it is a good thing to be about 15 lbs underweight. Thanks for reminding me to take care of myself - both mentally and physically. It's easy to fall in those traps for me, especially when so much else in my life is out of control.
    Ive had the same issues in my life...and with DS who I pumed for I got down to a scarey low weight, even for me. I then had a few pregs, miscarriage and then full term stillborn daughter, then I was prego again with DD2. And this time around I am TRYING to keep it at a normal low if that makes sence. You said thinking 10-15 lbs underweight is normal, and for me it was normal too! BUT faced with death so close (losing my DD1) I have really gotten a new perspective on life and death and dont think it cant happen to me anyomre! I try to remain concious of that when dealing with weight issues and there are some real complications that can happen when being too underweight!

Take care of yourself, your baby NEEDS you! Stay healthy and active and enjoy your LO! And thanks for being so honest in your post
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK