Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't take a bottle..

Default Won't take a bottle..

My 5 month old is a great little nurser. We are very happy breastfeeding and plan do it for a good long while. However, I make a ton of milk and am able to pump and freeze. We introduced a bottle at 3 weeks and he would have one in the evening every now and then, when my husband wanted a turn feeding. My husband and I went away for one night for our anniversary in January and baby took the bottle for my mother the whole night. Since then we have tried repeatedly to give him a bottle..my husband when I am out running errands, my mother when we visit and she lets me sleep in a bit. Every time he either screams at the bottle or messes with the nipple and refuses to drink.

I'd really love him to take one occasionally. My middle son wouldn't take one at all and it was a rough year. Any suggestions on bottles I might try? We are currently using the playtex Ventaire system.

Default Re: Won't take a bottle..

Some babies won't take a silicone nipple. See if they have laytex nipples.

Your baby might be old enough to try cup feeding.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

It's somewhat wasteful in that you have to ditch the liners, but I've tried just about every bottle out there except Dr. Browns and both of my kids seem to prefer the playtex drop ins. I believe they use the same nipples as the ventaire (they'll sell them in separate packages with separate packaging but they are *identical*)

I seem to recall my first did relatively well with Born Again bottles, but those cracked in the bottle warmer. The company was very good at replacing them though with no questions asked; since then we use an empty 6oz baby food jar (I just buy a jar of applesauce since they weren't at solids eating phase and eat the applesauce then clean it out) to heat the milk in.

I've tried Tommy Tippee, but my son would just push the nipple kind of inside out; they did not work well at all.

We've tried Nuk, Ventaire, Avent as well.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Mine took the drop-ins as well (laytex only, see above), and I used Gerber (now called Nuk) storage bags, which double as liners. I think the Lansinoh bags will also act as liners.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My sweetie takes a bottle once a week when I work. We use the breastflow bottles and they work great! They are shaped like the breast and babies (supposedly) use the same action to get the milk out of the nipple as they do your breast :-)

Hope this helps!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

Breastflow and adiri are nipples supposedly similar to the breast. Breastflow is the same actions, adiri is the same shape and something else... Idk. Give those a try?
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Mine took the drop-ins as well (laytex only, see above), and I used Gerber (now called Nuk) storage bags, which double as liners. I think the Lansinoh bags will also act as liners.
    Really? How interesting. I'm out to buy a bunch of different bottles today to see if Miss Beatrix will be more happy with something else and the wide latex playtex nipple was one I was going to try. Well, that would make it less annoying for me if that's what she likes.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I tried the breast flow ones with my daughter too. Those are the ones with an interior and exterior nipple, right? Those things were a huge PITA.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

We tried the Breastflow, Born Again, Tommy Tippee, Medela, Dr Brown's, Adiri, Playtex Ventaire, and Avent bottles with DD. She refused all of them . The only bottle she accepts is the Playtex drop ins with the natural latex nipple. For the first 6 weeks she would only take a few ounces a day with much protest. Now she is eagerly taking about three 5oz bottles during my 12 hour workday.

Mine really likes the Breastflow by "firstyears". It is a nipple inside of a nipple so the LO has to compress with her tounge very similar to breastfeeding. That added bonus is that it is difficult for caregivers to overfeed with this type of bottle because LO is completely in control of how much she gets - like breastfeeding.

I could not find them at Babies R Us but did find them at Target.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>