Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Gave LO "practice" bottle of expressed milk this morning

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default Gave LO "practice" bottle of expressed milk this morning

    First, I thought I would be really happy when he could start taking the bottle and give me options for my mom to watch him for an evening or DH to watch him while I left for more than an hour (I know I'd still have to pump, but it's a little different). I was not expecting to feel so sad about him being able to get his nourishment from just anyone.

    Anyway, there was a little more than 2 oz, and he drank it pretty quickly (much more quickly than when he is at the breast). I did stop him a few times to burp and to just slow him down. How do I know if he get enough? He cried for a minute or two when it was gone, but we snuggled and he was fine, so I don't know if he was still hungry or just liked the security of mama.

    When pumping after feeding him, I usually get 2 - 2.5 oz, and that comes whether he ate at one or both (I offer him both; sometimes he'll take both, sometimes just one.) When I pumped today (to replace his feeding), I got 7 oz. He is a big boy and weighed 8.8 at birth, 8.10 at his 1 week appt and 10.10 at his 1 month appt. His eating varies - usually it's about every 2 hours, but it can be anywhere between 1.5 - 3.5 hours. He will be 6 weeks on Tuesday.

    Also, I have a few more containers of milk in the fridge that I'll use the next few days as practice. I won't be going to work for another month. Should I continue to give him a bottle a day, or just do it as needed and work on my stash? I know I really only have to have enough for the first day, but I like the idea of having it if needed.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    1,302

    Default Re: Gave LO "practice" bottle of expressed milk this morning

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarabei View Post
    First, I thought I would be really happy when he could start taking the bottle and give me options for my mom to watch him for an evening or DH to watch him while I left for more than an hour (I know I'd still have to pump, but it's a little different). I was not expecting to feel so sad about him being able to get his nourishment from just anyone.
    Sounds perfectly normal, mama. He didn't get milk from 'just' anyone, he got it from you, but nature intended mothers and babies have intense close contact at this stage so you're feeling that pull.

    Mama, I had PPD and one the of big problems I had was feeling I had lost the old life I'd had. In retrospect, I think it would have been better if I had made it a point to go out for 30 or so minutes on a regular basis. Instead, the first time I left was around 6wks, it was for 2-3hrs, and I didn't feel good while I was out. Listen to yourself and your baby.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarabei View Post
    Anyway, there was a little more than 2 oz, and he drank it pretty quickly (much more quickly than when he is at the breast). I did stop him a few times to burp and to just slow him down. How do I know if he get enough? He cried for a minute or two when it was gone, but we snuggled and he was fine, so I don't know if he was still hungry or just liked the security of mama.
    Of course he missed the security of mama. You are the world to him. Even my 1-yo cries when I go. The speed of drinking is related to the physics of bottle drinking vs breast. It does not mean babies drink better from a bottle, in fact it's the reverse, bottles are a very poor replacement for a breast. See:http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-B.htm#Fussiness

    what happens when baby is offered a bottle and "guzzles" it down:

    Parents who don't know this is "normal" frequently respond as you did by giving a bottle because they think the baby isn't "happy or satisfied" with the breast. When the bottle goes in the baby's mouth the mouth fills with milk, the baby is obligated to swallow and the action of swallowing initiates another suck. The suck again fills the mouth and the cycle repeats, giving an appearance of the baby "gulping the bottle down hungrily".

    This of course only contributes to mom and dad's fear that the baby wasn't getting enough at the breast and they keep offering more and more bottles (understandably). Which then causes a true low milk supply. Often the baby falls asleep peacefully after this episode which also reinforces to the parents that the bottle was just what the baby needed. What has really happened is the baby has by coincidence come to the natural conclusion of the fussy spell (most parents give the bottle as a last resort which means the fussiness has been going on for awhile) and/or the baby has withdrawn because "gulping" down the bottle was actually stressful and NOT what the baby wanted but she could not stop the flow, so exhausted, she falls asleep. So don't offer bottles during any fussy time.


    Have you thought about cup feeding so LO does not develop a nipple preference? You Tube has good videos on LCs showing how to feed even newborns with cups.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarabei View Post
    When pumping after feeding him, I usually get 2 - 2.5 oz, and that comes whether he ate at one or both (I offer him both; sometimes he'll take both, sometimes just one.) When I pumped today (to replace his feeding), I got 7 oz. He is a big boy and weighed 8.8 at birth, 8.10 at his 1 week appt and 10.10 at his 1 month appt. His eating varies - usually it's about every 2 hours, but it can be anywhere between 1.5 - 3.5 hours. He will be 6 weeks on Tuesday.
    0.5 - 1oz is a lot for a FT bfing mother, meaning you're not seperated but you pump to build a stash. Remember to run by output = nappy (diaper) counts rather than statistics like weight gain. Weight gain varies enormously and bf babies who feed on cue follow a healthy weight gain pattern, whereas those fed artificial milk have a less healthy weight gain pattern. Gaining a lot at any age doesn't mean healthy. At some point you will probably experience the typical bf pattern and level off, go below the charts made for the high-calorie synthesized stuff. So I encourage you to be confident based on output, which is ample proof of adequacy of input.

    6wks +
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarabei View Post
    Also, I have a few more containers of milk in the fridge that I'll use the next few days as practice. I won't be going to work for another month. Should I continue to give him a bottle a day, or just do it as needed and work on my stash? I know I really only have to have enough for the first day, but I like the idea of having it if needed.
    How long are you planning to refrigerate your milk? Because a big stash will spoil. One thing that may be useful to know is if your milk has a lot of lipase, which is a digestive enzyme good for babies but breaks stored milk down and makes it taste soapy. Some babies will reject the soapy milk. It can affect frozen milk and in that case the only choice is to scald milk briefly to deactivate the enzyme, which will also deactivate the beneficial live white blood cells and other live goodies along with it. Thus it's a method of resort and not first choice. I recommend you taste--yes, taste!--your milk so you know what is good milk and what is bad. You would taste other first foods to check for spoilage, so don't let your milk creep you out. If it's stored, you have to be sure of the freshness, only straight from the breast is guaranteed fresh.

    I went back to work at 9 months with one single 2oz bottle of ebm for a half-day seperation, and never had problem with getting enough milk for LO because I had a good supply from very frequent feeding, pumped only when seperated and did so every 2 hrs till she got older, and bought a high-quality double pump (Medela Freestyle). A big stash isn't necessary, but some mothers said they felt reassured by having some bottles in the freezer.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •