Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drowning in milk

Default drowning in milk

I think I have an oversupply issue but I'm not sure. In the morning when I pump (storing for going back to work) I can get about 5-6 ounces. Also when my baby comes off my breast there is still milk leaking or spraying everywhere. My issue though is that I don't think my he (4 wks old) can empty my breast when he nurses. It still usually feels just as full after he eats. His latch is pretty good (not great - his jaw is a little recessed) but I can hear him swallowing. We've had a few green poops and a bunch of yellow poops with green in them. I've already had mastitis and I'm worried that I will get it again if he is not emptying my breast. I'm also concerned that he is getting too much foremilk. He does get very gassy and fussy after eating. I already only do one breast per session. He stops a lot so I take him off, undress him, burp him, change him and sometimes just wait to try to convince him to eat more. I think he is gaining weight (our next ped appt is next week) - he is definitely outgrowing some clothing. So the biggest questions is what can happen if he is not emptying my breast and what can I do about it?

On a somewhat unrelated note can arm exercises (push ups, etc) cause clogged ducts or mastitis?

TIA. I'm really stressed out and feel like all of my conversations with my husband are only about my boobs.

Default Re: drowning in milk

When you have an oversupply, you actually don't want to empty the breast. Getting the breast empty sends a message to your body that it needs to make more milk. Leaving milk in the breast send the opposite message. Since your baby is growing and having at least some yellow poops, it sounds like he's getting enough to eat. The green poops suggest that sometimes he's getting too much foremilk, in which case you may want to do some block feeding: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html Block feeding is specifically designed to leave some milk in the breast, to give the body the message that it needs to ratchet supply back a bit.

Exercise can result in plugs if you've been wearing a poorly-fitting or tight sports bra. Sound like a possibility?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for your reply. It made me feel a lot better. As far as the sports bra goes how do I know what is supportive enough to work out in but not too tight?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kfish View Post
    As far as the sports bra goes how do I know what is supportive enough to work out in but not too tight?
    Trial and error, getting a professional fitting, and avoiding underwires are the 3 things I can think of.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"