Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing my 13 month old & question

Default Nursing my 13 month old & question

I've EBF (until starting solids) since he was born. Even after starting solids he nursed more than anything and now still nurses quite a bit. Well, I've never had pain except for a few times in the beginning but all of a sudden the past two days it hurts when he nurses. He's latching the same way (at least I don't notice a difference) and so I have no clue why it hurts? It's my nipples that hurt. Has this happened to anyone or do any of you know what might be causing this?

Default Re: Nursing my 13 month old & question

Could you possibly be pregnant?
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Or have you started af?
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

with the PPs. If those 2 options are out, how about thrush?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've never gotten a period yet, doubt that I'm pregnant because of that, and I'm not sure about thrush but I will check out the link. Being pregnant could make it hurt?

Ok I read up a little on thrush and I have no clue if that's what it is? I have pain but it's not excruciating just uncomfortable and yesterday there was a few sharp aching pains. He doesn't really have white in his mouth (or on his tongue) nor the other symptoms. The only thing I could think of the causes would be that I use breast pads. Hmm.

Should I make an appt. with my doc just to be sure? Could it be my period coming?

It could be your period, it could also be pregnancy. You ovulate before ever actually having a period, so it is possible to get pregnant without having had a period.

Can you describe the pain? For me thrush felt like an itchy irritating burning kind of pain on the very tips of my nipples. The pain of nursing during pregnancy was more like an achy sharp pain all over my nipples. I didn't get pain nursing during AF, but from what I understand it is similar to the pain of nursing during pregnancy- because it's similar hormones causing it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    It could be your period, it could also be pregnancy. You ovulate before ever actually having a period, so it is possible to get pregnant without having had a period.

Can you describe the pain? For me thrush felt like an itchy irritating burning kind of pain on the very tips of my nipples. The pain of nursing during pregnancy was more like an achy sharp pain all over my nipples. I didn't get pain nursing during AF, but from what I understand it is similar to the pain of nursing during pregnancy- because it's similar hormones causing it.
    It's how you described the nursing during pregnancy pain. It's sharp, aching, and uncomfortable. 2 days ago when he would nurse it was sharp and shooting in my boob and the nipple hurt as well so I had him stop nursing for a bit. It feels a bit better today. I also POAS this morning and it was negative so I don't know what's up.

When I had thrush it was a sharp shooting pain.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting