Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spitting up

Default spitting up

My baby had a hard time burping for awhile, he didn't seem to want to. Now he burps, but spits up, sometimes quite a bit. Is this normal? How much is too much spit up? The spit up seems pretty mucousy also, is that ok?

Default Re: spitting up

He might have reflux. Notsure how to detrrmin that other than ask the pediatrician.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Spit up is normal. How old is your baby?

If the spit up a) seems to bother him (becomes assoc with fussiness, arching back, refusal to nurse despite being hungry) or b) becomes projectile (like, exorcist-projectile) and/or assoc with a lot of retching/gagging, then I would recommend a visit to your pedi.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Spit up is normal. How old is your baby?

If the spit up a) seems to bother him (becomes assoc with fussiness, arching back, refusal to nurse despite being hungry) or b) becomes projectile (like, exorcist-projectile) and/or assoc with a lot of retching/gagging, then I would recommend a visit to your pedi.
    He is 2 weeks 5 days. He did have projectile vomit last week, right after feeding him (I was actually lifting him up to burp and he let ALL the milk out I had just fed him). He had a dr appointment right afterward and the doctor said I fed him too much since he seemed content before and after the event. He doesn't seem upset when he spits up, except that he sometimes seems to be hungry after spitting up.

If spit-up occurs without pain, it's generally a laundry issue, not a health issue. As in all things baby, you're looking for a pattern. If the baby's pattern is to be a "happy spitter," there's nothing to worry about. If most of the time the spit-up amounts are relatively small, again, nothing to worry about. But if the baby is usually uncomfortable when spitting, or is spitting up huge amounts every time, then you might want to see the pediatrician again.

Oh, and as far as spit-up amounts go: the average feeding is probably around 2 oz or so. So that you know what that looks like, take 2 oz of milk and dump it out on the counter. Then take a couple of tablespoons and dump it out on the counter. Spit-up amounts that are consistently in the neighborhood of 2 oz may be problematic. A couple of tablespoons probably aren't.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When I went to my first meeting with the LC she showed me that a little bit of spit up looks like alot when absorbable material is there. It's an illusion really.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing