Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Confusion??

Default Nipple Confusion??

Sorry to post another thread everyone, but I'm a little worried. Here is what's going on, we left the hospital this past Monday morning. My son has Jaundice, but the levels weren't too bad so they let us leave. We had a doctor appt set up for Wednesday, however on Tuesday he looked much more yellow so we go an appt for that day. Of course they pricked his foot. We got the call at 8pm that night his level was 14. We were told to return the following(Weds) morning. We did, and he got his foot pricked again, twice. Last night he was having some trouble breathing(little boogies & meconium) so we took him to the hospital. While we were waiting to see the doctor he was hungry but they didn't want him to nurse until after he was seen, so we gave him a nook for the first time. They got his nose clear but last night was a very bad night for him; wouldn't sleep, didn't really want to nurse and the same holds true today regarding nursing. It's like he doesn't want to really latch on anymore. He will latch for a few minutes but then it's like he gets bored or doesn't want any milk and just quits. I'm afraid I ruined him for nursing.
    I'm so sorry for writing a novel here, I just wanted to provide some clarity to the situation. Is this common? Did the 10 minutes with a nook give him nipple confusion? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks a million for all of your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Nipple Confusion??

I don't know much because I'm new at this too, but I can tell you that my baby girl uses a pacifier as well as drinks breast milk from a bottle and she will still eat from my breast, so I wouldn't think that 10 minutes with a paci would give your baby nipple confusion?? I hope you figure it out, I fully understand the frustration especially at night!! Hang in there!!

I doubt 10 min was enough to cause nipple confusion. It's possible his nose is stuffy again and if it is that's why he won't nurse as long because he cant breathe. Try using breastmilk or saline solution up his nose then sucking it out with a nasal aspirater.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Thanks for all the responses. Your help is greatly appreciated. Although it just seems like one issue after another. Never had this problem when feeding my other two children formula.

Now my son likes to nurse for all of 30 seconds and then fall asleep. However when I put him down onto his boppy or a blanket he starts crying and acting like he's hungry again. Then the same thing over again. Any suggestions?? Any reason why this might be taking place?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*KeberleK View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Your help is greatly appreciated. Although it just seems like one issue after another. Never had this problem when feeding my other two children formula.

Now my son likes to nurse for all of 30 seconds and then fall asleep. However when I put him down onto his boppy or a blanket he starts crying and acting like he's hungry again. Then the same thing over again. Any suggestions?? Any reason why this might be taking place?
    Try undressing your LO and use a wet wash cloth to go against the grain of his hair or on his torso. For me brushing my DD's leg usually gets her suckling.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*KeberleK View Post
    Here are some tips on waking a sleepy baby: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-ba...m#SleepyBabies

Your LO might just want to be close to mommy. If you have a sling, try wearing him. That way he gets what he wants and you can still move around!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"