Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pressure to Start Rice Cereal

Default Pressure to Start Rice Cereal

Hi Everyone, I wanted to ask if any of your are pressured by your family to start solids. My family is totally supportive of breastfeeding and that is not a problem, the problem is that my baby is now 6 months and I am pressured to start rice cereal. My mom is stating my baby is hungry and needs solids now and that because we were feed rice cereal at 3 months that I should give my baby food already. We did try green beans last week and it did not go well. My baby had a stomach ache and was not herself. I decided she was not ready for solids and was going to wait at least 1 month. She is doing good on my milk, but has been in the 5% since birth. But my pediatrician never mentioned supplementing-I know I am lucky with such a great pediatrician Anyway I think we will try rice cereal just maybe 1 teaspoon a day and see how that goes. What would you recommend? Wait? or maybe start rice cereal and see if it agrees with my baby? Thanking everyone in advance for your help

Default Re: Pressure to Start Rice Cereal

There is barely any nutritional value in rice cereal. If you think your daughter is ready to start experimenting with solids, you can give her whole foods like avocado, banana, sweet potato, or a peeled apple.

Your instincts are right mama. There is absolutely no reason to push solids if she isn't ready. They are for experimentation during the first year and you are right to not want to force them on her.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    There is barely any nutritional value in rice cereal. If you think your daughter is ready to start experimenting with solids, you can give her whole foods like avocado, banana, sweet potato, or a peeled apple.

Your instincts are right mama. There is absolutely no reason to push solids if she isn't ready. They are for experimentation during the first year and you are right to not want to force them on her.
    family does mean well but times have changed.. My own Mother still believes rice cereal is a must..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I got that too. It was expected that DD be on rice cereal starting at 4 months. I was told I was mean for depriving her of food. We tried it once and it did not agree with her at all. So I held off for a while on everything. If you don't think your LO's ready, then they probably arent.

After we did rice cereal the one time, we didn't do any more cereal at all until she could feed her self. I started to do baby led solids instead. So she ate whole rice or rice cakes, not cereal.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Rice cereal probably isn't going to make your baby gain weight. It's just starch, whereas your milk is fat, protein, carbs- if cereal is like a rice cake, breastmilk is a milkshake! And I know what I'm going to eat if I want to gain weight!

The one thing cereal does have is iron. Most breastfed babies get their iron needs met at the breast, but some do end up anemic and AFAIK anemia can impact weight gain. So if your LO hasn't had finger stick to check her iron levels, you might want to get her one at her 9 month check-up.

Not saying your LO is too small- just saying it makes sense to check her iron at some point.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Trust your instinct momma. I was told flat out by "friends" that I was a bad mom for not starting solids at 4 months. I just ignored it and went on with life. I was also told that I should dilute rice cereal with water and put it in a bottle for her to drink. The pp are correct. There is hardly any nurtrional value to rice cereal....look at the box. Offer whole foods or purreed foods to baby if YOU want to start and your baby is ready.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

i know this is a little late...but i wanted to share a book i have read and plan to reference all through introduing solids to my 4month old LO. We plan to start anywhere between 5-7months. All dependent on...baby signs of course.

Check the library...but after reading this and being a health nut myself, i was sold. Not every baby or Mommy is the same, but at the very least this has some really great information!!

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Greens-Li.../dp/1583941371

Good Luck!

Sidenote: My husband and i have had a general plan for a while now on when to start solids..but i get the same "help" from my mother. "Maybe you should consider starting sooner than later." "He seems hungry and you need a full nights sleep" You are not alone!

Hello!! I'm Jenna

Married my best friend Frank (9-4-10)
    Mom to Frank V 10-27-10, we and we love it, most days while @ work together

All organic and love to grow food!!

While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby. ~Amy Spangler

Just to let you know you are not alone, I was also pressured by my parents and inlaws to start cereal asap. None of them (lol obviously the guys haven't) have bfed and they don't understand how it works either. My mom constantly was interpreting any and all fussiness as hunger because she saw that I bf every 2 hours (not every 4 or 5 hours as with formula) and consequently was on my case about starting cereal or indeed any food "since she must be starving!!". Go with your instincts and wait till LO is ready.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

yes, pressure is not the word (yet) but my family is starting to mention it more and more. my daughter is almost 5 months and when we eat she reaches for the food so they say she is hungry and wants to eat. but i think she just wants to grab every object in sight - edible or not. i don't feel like she is ready yet. i agree with everyone - we should trust our instincts no matter what anyone says. maybe you could try something else with your daughter - potato or carrot are supposed to be easiest on the stomach i think.
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

Read this. Then print it. Then share it with anyone bugging you.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.