Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my 17mo self weaning because of diminished mild supply?

Unhappy Is my 17mo self weaning because of diminished mild supply?

My 17mo son has all but stopped nursing. He has only attempted to nurse a few times in the last week or so. The day before yesterday he tried a brief mid-morning snack and then only sampled for few seconds this morning. And I think he only did that because we were bathing together. Both times he quickly gave up and reached for his sippy cup. Is this because my milk supply is diminished or does not flow as fast? I am sad that he has given up so quickly. My oldest son bf well into his second year and had to be strongly encouraged to wean.

Default Re: Is my 17mo self weaning because of diminished mild supply?

Hello!
    I'm not sure about the milk supply question but, this is how my dd started weaning and it took her about 5 or 6 months to completely wean. She was ready before I was... I feel pretty mixed about it. I'm so proud of her but, I feel sad.

Feel great about your bf success, you've done great!

knmama

Thank you for replying. Hearing from another Mommy brings a little relief and a few tears. He has been nursing less and less for a couple of months now and I figured that was just because of easier access ot water and milk by means of his sippy cup.
    What you said about your daughter being ready before you were really hit home. I was just not prepared for this to happen so soon.
    I think the hormone shift is contibuting to the sadness. I wonder how long it will take for the hormones to settle down? How was it for you?

Well... It's been emotional. I'm proud of her, she is very high needs, high strung (just like her mother!) so, the fact that she self weaned and that so far, she has handled it so well, means a lot to me. I've been hugging, kissing, holding her a lot. She probably thinks that mama isn't handling it as well as she is . I really miss it! I mean it's great not to worry about what I'm ingesting but, I'm still sad.

My hormones are another issue... I started a thread about it (you should read it). They are totally unbalanced! I started doing some Yoga and it helps some but, I guess I'll just have to be patient (not a virtue I own). My dr. said it would take a while.

It sounds like you and I might be going through a bit of the same. Keep posting, let me know how you and your baby are doing.

knmama

I would like to check out your other thread on the hormone thing. Where can I find it?
    I would talk to my doctor but he is just clueless when it comes to breastfeeding. I nursed my son soley for 6 months and he almost had a cow. My son weighed 21 pounds and was growing and thriving very well. So I dont know why he was so concerned. I was also giving him all the recommended vitamin drops. He had five kids of his own. I guess they were not bfed?

It sounds to me like a nursing strike, but it could be any number of things. Here's information about Nursing Strikes
    Is it a Nursing Strike?

Hi there!
    Well dd asked to nursed on friday (she had a fever) but, only nursed for a few seconds so, no let down happened. It was as if she just needed reasurance that it was ok to nurse if she wanted to.

My thread is just a few below yours. The date is 10/19, title "Dd weaned, hormones gone crazy! Help! " under my user name knmama.

Hope you are well!

knmama

Sorry! Forgot to tell you that my thread is in the "weaning" section.

knmama