Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just need support, having a hard time :(

Unhappy Just need support, having a hard time :(

Such an emotional day for me! I keep trying not to take this all so personal, but I feel like I'm mourning something! PLEASE Please tell me she's not weaning Basically, as I've said in my other posts...she's stopped taking the right breast out of the blue a few days ago and wants NOTHING to do with it. When I offer it, she goes into full meltdown mode of screaming until hyperventilation. And then mommy starts crying...it's so awful to feel rejected and it's awful to feel like I'm in some way hurting her. She's also dropped MORE sessions... So when she does nurse, it's only the left side...and right now we're down to first thing in the morning and bedtime. I can see about 2-3 molars coming in, which is what I believe is causing all this. But will she ever take the right side again?? And will she pick up more sessions?? I *think* what must of happened last week was that she felt pain when nursing on the right side and now it's left a bad memory of some sort to where she won't even allow me to put her anywhere NEAR my right breast.

Anyway, just looking for support and some kind words...I'm emotionally drained over all this. Thank you
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: Just need support, having a hard time :(

I'm sorry you're going through this mama!
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

That sounds awful. I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time.

Just keep nursing in whatever way you can! Whenever you do nurse, you are reinforcing all of the GOOD things about nursing for your baby, and creating good associations. Give your baby some space to reform those good associations by not forcing something that is bothering her.

Does she nurse better when she's tired/asleep? A lot of babies do, and that's an easy way to reinforce some good associations with nursing on the right side. The more you can get her to nurse on that side, the more likely she'll shed her bad memories of the painful nursing.

Hang in there! It's incredibly hard, but it is NOT about you. Your baby is not rejecting you - she is just dealing with some issues around breastfeeding. There is a difference.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Her ears might be hurting due to teething and keeping her from nursing with her head in a certain position. Maybe try offering the right again, just upside down.

For example I nurse my 14 month old lying down most of the time. She lays on her left side when I offer my right breast. But in your case I'd offer her my left when she is laying on her left. Same position, different boob.

so sorry...agree that its probably pain associated. just try to keep nursing sessions happy and stress free. I hope that once her teeth come in she will resume nursing again.

Hang in there momma!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

She used to come to me and tell me when she wanted to nurse...now she avoids me and walks around whining. When I go to get her, she'll actually shy away from me...it's like a different baby all together. Is she sad because she wants to nurse but is too afraid to, so she avoids me?
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovepickles View Post

Her ears might be hurting due to teething and keeping her from nursing with her head in a certain position. Maybe try offering the right again, just upside down.

For example I nurse my 14 month old lying down most of the time. She lays on her left side when I offer my right breast. But in your case I'd offer her my left when she is laying on her left. Same position, different boob.

To get that child to lay down or actually sit still is a feat in itself. So I'm not sure I would even be able to attempt this without getting her more upset...unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Just keep nursing in whatever way you can! Whenever you do nurse, you are reinforcing all of the GOOD things about nursing for your baby, and creating good associations. Give your baby some space to reform those good associations by not forcing something that is bothering her.

Does she nurse better when she's tired/asleep? A lot of babies do, and that's an easy way to reinforce some good associations with nursing on the right side. The more you can get her to nurse on that side, the more likely she'll shed her bad memories of the painful nursing.

Hang in there! It's incredibly hard, but it is NOT about you. Your baby is not rejecting you - she is just dealing with some issues around breastfeeding. There is a difference.
    I really needed to hear this, thank you. And I think you're spot on...she's now associated nursing with bad feelings, so I have to somehow get back to the "good ole days"... sounds like a long road ahead.
    Lately there really isn't a "better" time of day that she nurses. It used to always be at bedtime she would calm down and nurse for awhile... I was able to somehow coax her into the right breast about 3 nights ago, but it hasn't happened since. She was at least putting her lips to the breast, NOW she won't even allow me to put her near it.

Bless your heart!! The not nursing and teething I could deal with and just pump and outwait it. The running from me, that would get to me. Does she shy away from you even if you are not trying to nurse her? Would it make a difference if you maybe didn't even mention nursing to her for a couple of days, just pump to keep from losing your supply...little ones are forgetful and perhaps if it went a while with no pain associated with eating, you could start over.

I don't know - I'm grasping at straws with you. You can know what's causing it, understand it, and still not know what to do about it.
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 18 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 4 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!