Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decrease milk supply at 8 months

Default Decrease milk supply at 8 months

Hello!! This is a wonderful site!!

I have some concerns about my milk supply. My son will be 8 months on Monday and the past 3 days I have noticed a drastic decrease in my milk supply in both breasts. Up until the beginning of this week, I have been successfully pumping 4-5 oz in my right breast and 3 oz in my left. Now, my left has decreased to 1-2 and my right is at 3-4oz. Any ideas as to why? He is on solids in the AM and PM (no lunch yet). He is given snacks a bit at daycare but that's about it. I pump 3 times a day at work..both breasts. He is also teething, will that cause him to not nurse as well?

What can I do to increase it? He does favor the right breast but this decrease is scaring me. I know that BM is supply and demand. But I'm not used to not producing more. Am I normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    --Renee

Default Re: Decrease milk supply at 8 months

A decrease in pumping output at some point is very normal. It can be due to any of the following:
    - Impending return of your menstrual cycle
    - Pregnancy
    - New form of hormonal contraception
    - Baby nursing less due to teething, illness, or decreased interest in the breast
    - Pump wearing out
    - Pumping generally becoming less effective.

This is a great link for troubleshooting pumping issues: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you recently started your period, or could it be possible that you are pregnant? Have you been under stress? Have you recently changed your eating/drinking/exercise habits?

Dang it, mommal, you beat me to it by seconds!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks so much for your reply! I haven't gotten my mentsrual cycle throughout the entire term of nursing so far; I don't take any contraceptives; I'm definitely not pregnant (yet). I often wonder though if it's really because of him teething OR it's my pump wearing out. Even the highest setting on my Medela dual pump doesnt' effect me as it used to. It used to really suck but not anymore. SO I wonder if it's the combination of the two.

What shoudl I do about the pump?

Miss MW,
    I have been under some stress lately for sure. My son hasn't been sleeping very well and I'm the one getting up. And due to the horrible winter I have been experiencing, my daily walks have decreased. Working out always relaxes me and I havent' had that. But, do you think the pump and teeting could be more of the culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*reds View Post
    What shoudl I do about the pump?
    Contact Medela.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Contact Medela.
    Are they normally pretty good at replacing the pump? Or will they require me to purchase another? That is, if you know.

Thanks again!!

They have excellent customer service; sometimes they can do something before replacing the whole pump, but I have also heard of them doing that as well.

And there's only one way to be SURE you aren't pregnant In all seriousness, you can be fertile before your cycle returns.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Well I didnt catch if the baby is nursing too...if your only pumping, then i am surprised that you could keep the milk supply up that long.
    Another thing is if you are sick at all, sometimes that can decrease the milk supply quite a bit. That happened to me.
    To help increase breast milk...
    Mother's Milk Tea really helps the milk supply. http://www.vitacost.com/Traditional-...ilk-Herbal-Tea
    There are foods that natually help the milk supply stay up too. Oatmeal is one. Just search around on google.
    Also, certain herbs are known to increase milk supply...fenugreek is probably the most common. (Dont take if pregnant. Also not recommended if you are prone to hypoglycemia.)
    Milk thistle and blessed thistle are a couple of other herbal galactagogues. These can be easily brewed into teas.