Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: food allergies=respiratory infection?

Default food allergies=respiratory infection?

My daughter developed a respiratory infection last week and I could not for the life of me figure out anything that could have caused it since this is the first time she has ever gotten more than a little two day cold. This morning while doing some research on introducing solids I saw that peas are an allergen. That is what I was feeding her the few days leading up to her developing a respiratory infection. I was wondering if this could be a sign of her being allergic to peas or if its just a coincidence. Does anyone out there know? I am afraid to give her anything with peas now until I know

Default Re: food allergies=respiratory infection?

How old is your daughter? Is she around other kids - play dates, nursery, daycare, babysitter, cousins, school-aged siblings?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I've never heard of a connection between food allergies and respiratory infection. I could imagine a scenario in which food allergy->congestion->post nasal drip->respiratory infection, but unless you are seeing other signs of a potential food allergy I don't think that is what is happening here. Other signs might include hives, eczema, a red ring around the anus, vomiting, diarrhea, mucousy or bloody poops.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Shes six months old, and no shes not around any other children. She stays at home with me or my mom and only goes out when I do so I dont see her getting sick from someone else. And she had some diarrhea but Im not sure if its due to being sick or due to a food allergy.

If the diarrhea started after she got sick I would say it's a result of the illness or antibiotics (if she's taking them).

I doubt this is a food allergy, but it's not going to hurt to not give her peas for a while just in case. Some good first foods that aren't likely to be allergenic include sweet potato, banana, avocado.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous