Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby feeding from one breast in a session

Default Baby feeding from one breast in a session

Hi,

My daughter is 6 weeks old this week and weighs 3.5kg. During the first few weeks of BF she nursed from both breasts during one feeding session (with a nappy change between breasts). The past week she nurses only from one breast and is not interested in taking the other breast after I changed her nappy. She nurses well from both breasts (does not have preferance to only one). Is this a problem and will it decrease my supply?

In addition to the above, she has decreased her nursing time from 20 min to between 10 and 15 mins. I am assuming that since she is getting bigger and better at BF she is able to get more milk in a shorter period of time?

Thanks!

Default Re: Baby feeding from one breast in a session

This is normal. My 5 week old has started doing the same thing, and my older baby did this from about 3 weeks. As long as weight gain and diaper output are okay, it's fine. Your supply may decrease a bit, but your baby is probably telling you she needs it to decrease - that's why she is being satisfied with one. You can continue to offer the second breast if she seems hungry, and make sure you alternate sides so you don't get lopsided
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos