Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: whole milk now nursing less???

Default whole milk now nursing less???

Hi ladies!!!
    I am letting my daughter self wean and like it usually seems she is doing it much faster then her momma wants. She is down to 2-3 nursing sessions per day and seem mostly for comfort. I have not been giving her cows milk as it says not to on Kelly Mom, but I truly now feel that she is hardly getting any milk from me, so not sure what to do. She is very small for her age. She is 18 months and 22 pounds. She does well with solids, but I feel I have pushed those as far as I can. Just wondering if any other Mom's started giving cows milk or some other milk and how much. Not ready to wean, but following my daughters lead and concerned about her growth. She will not nurse more, even if I offer or cut down on her solids.
    Thanks for any advice. They grow up way too fast.!!!!

Default Re: whole milk now nursing less???

As long as your LO is nursing somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 times a day, you don't need to introduce cow's milk. But you don't need to be afraid to do so, either. In your shoes, I'd offer it as a beverage choice. But I wouldn't be amazed if she didn't take to it- my older kid didn't drink cow's milk until nearly 5, when she discovered just how tasty it is when cookies are dunked in it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

how many ounces should I offer a day?

DD is 14 months and hovers around 20 lbs. DD barely swallows any food and nurses 8-12 times a day, at least. We are both happy.

My pediatrician tried to get me to night wean a few months ago. I said no.

During our last visit he told me to introduce milk (cow, rice or soy) "just in case" my supply went away. Again, I said no.

I'm not doing either. He said it was fine so long as my supply held up. And I'm sure it will because we are happily night nursing and she's only drinking water with her meals. I am guessing that women follow his advice and predictably it messes up their supply.

IMHO there is no need for any milk substitute when they drink breastmilk.

As long as she is nursing a few times a day. DD is 22 months and just under 22 lbs...she has been seeing a dietician for the past few months as she was off the charts small. The dietician told me as long as she is nursing even 2-3 times a day , that is good...casue DD WONT drink milk. Of course my DD nurses WAY more then that...lol. But wanted to share the info with you. Sounds like yours in nursing enough.

have you tried to nurse her when she is sleeping or sleepy to maybe get in a few extra sessions, if that would make you feel better?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK