Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing 18 month old, pregnant, and losing weight?

Default Nursing 18 month old, pregnant, and losing weight?

I recently confirmed that I'm pregnant (about 4.5 weeks along, so not far), and am still nursing my 18 month old DS. For the past 4 months, I've been working to get into better shape for the next time I get pregnant. I was losing about 1lb-2lbs a month (wasn't working as hard as I could've), but steadily losing and keeping it off. Lately in the last week or two, I've managed to drop at least 2 lbs. My question is, does anyone have experience with losing weight in early pregnancy due to nursing? I am in no way thinking of weaning my son, just curious if anyone has experienced this.

Default Re: Nursing 18 month old, pregnant, and losing weight?

Ive lost weight in my first trimester (according to one scale, i lost 8lbs..and 2 lbs in a little over a week when i went for appts) and im currently nursing my almost 16 month old.

Not sure if the loss had to do with nursing him or the fact that I barely had an appetite

But i honestly wouldn't be concerned. I've read its normal and OK to lose weight in your first trimester
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

I wouldn't worry either. I've lost weight both times due to nausea and lack of appetite. It will come back. Each time I lost around 8 lbs or so. I still haven't gained any weight and I'm 15 weeks.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

The weird thing is, I have an appetite. In fact, I've been eating a little more than I usually do. I think it's due to nursing, but it's nice to know that other moms have experienced this!

I wasn't even nursing during my second pg and managed to lose 10 lbs in about a month due to nausea, lack of appetite, etc. (my dr was not pleased btw) Once I was able to keep food down I gained it back. You need to keep trying to eat as healthy as possible and maybe talk to a nutritionist now that you are eating for 3
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

i would say as long as you're taking a multi vit not to worry too much. i think the total recommended weight gain for the first tri is only about four pounds anyway, you've still got plenty of time!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it