Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning at night- 8 month old

Default Weaning at night- 8 month old

How do I night wean my 8 month old? She just learned to crawl and is now waking up every 3 hours and will only go back to sleep by nursing. I'm losing my mind..... I've been so sleep deprived lately.

I don't like to co sleep because I sleep worse with her in the bed. Ready to night ween her................ Any advice?

Default Re: Weaning at night- 8 month old

Your baby is probably waking up because she has just learned to crawl. It's pretty common for their sleep patterns to be disrupted when they hit major milestones like that. If you weaned her right now she would very likely still wake up frequently and you wouldn't have nursing to use as a tool to get her back to sleep.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She has never been a good sleeper...... the most she's ever slept straight is like 5 hours.

So I guess I should just suck it up and let it pass? Hope it doesn't take more than a couple of weeks!

5 hours is sttn
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sleeping a five hour stretch is considered sleeping through the night, so that's a good sign. Getting the timing right so you can sleep during that time can be tricky. Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution? There were some really good tips in there about how to gently encourage better sleep patterns. I hope you get more sleep soon! I found those months between 8mos and 14ish were some of the toughest because there are so many milestones and teeth growing etc. It kept my babies up frequently. You might consider giving cosleeping another go to see if it's any better now that she's older, I only suggest that because it was the only thing that saved my sanity.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She'll probably go back to her normal sleeping pattern in a week or two, and it'll be easier on everyone if you just let that happen naturally. Any kind of sleep training would be time consuming and may or may not be effective, and will be frustrating. If she's waking up that frequently (which isn't very frequently, actually!) she probably actually needs to nurse for one reason or another. Lots of babies do this when they learn something new. But she could also be going through a growth spurt or teething, and she needs the milk for extra calories or for comfort.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it