Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Prevacid tablets...any tricks?

Question Prevacid tablets...any tricks?

My 5 week old DD just started on Prevacid tablets...I don't know if she is actually swallowing any or not, there are several little granules that end up on her neck. I tried the syringe, spoon, and even putting it in the side of her cheeck then giving her water in a syringe (not even sure if that was safe, she chocked a little.) I don't know if any of it is going down or not...a lot stays on her lips.

Default Re: Prevacid tablets...any tricks?

OMG! We're dealing with this too! Really bad formulation for babies! We were doing the ranitidine syrup before, and he loved it. Anyway, here's what we do:

1) cut pill in half with a sharp knife (ours aren't scored...grrrr)
    2) grind up half a pill to a fine powder with mortar and pestle
    3) suck up about 2 mL water with a syringe and mix with powder
    4) suck mixture up and give to baby
    5) repeat steps 3 and 4 with about 1-1.5 mL water

He protested a lot at first, but he's taking it much better now (he's been on it about two weeks now).

You can do what PP said about crushing, but instead put the powder in the syringe itself (take plunger out, put powder in, add about 2ml of water, put plunger back, shake well).
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

DS1 did really well with the tablets but the twins didn't. What I would do is put it in his mouth and then breastfeed him. The tablet would dissolve in his cheek (next to my boob lol) and anything that didn't go in didn't... it was enough that it worked.
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet

Are they the fasttabs? If so you are not suppose to crush them. The fastabs dissolve in a little water into little beads. My Ds was on them (stopped them since they did NOTHING!) and we used a spoon. I found that it stuck to the inside of the syringe.
    DS 10/09/10 7lbs 11 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    You can do what PP said about crushing, but instead put the powder in the syringe itself (take plunger out, put powder in, add about 2ml of water, put plunger back, shake well).
    This is exactly what we do. I think that was actually contained in the instructions that the pharmacist gave us with the meds. DS2 just started Prevacid at 15 months after having been on Zantac for months and he actually got to liking the Zantac after awhile but he hates the Prevacid even though it is supposed to taste better. Giving him the tablet didn't go well.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I used to:
    1) chop tablet in half by placing knife over midline then just give one good smack to the knife. If you try to actually cut it in 1/2 it crumbles.
    2)place 1/2 tablet with 1.5mL of water in a "cup". You know those measuring caps that come with meds? Just for mixing purposes.
    3)stir with knife tip, if not tablet settles at the bottom
    4)then suck up with syringe
    5)place it up against the inside of DD's cheek and towards the back, and squirt a little at a time so that more is swallowed that spit out. That stuff stains!!!!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

What we did when DD was on Prevacid was break the tablet into 2-3 pieces and put it in a syringe. Put the plunger back in the syringe and suck up some water that will dissolve the tablet and the squirt the solution on the side of her mouth. She seemed to spit out less when we put it in the side of her mouth vs straight in.

HTH!
    Robin