Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with breast refusal

Default Help with breast refusal

My baby has always loved nursing so very much!! He is 15 months old. Within in the last week he has been biting me. Sometimes he would laugh when he bit me. To discourage this habit, i would push on his gums while removing his teeth from my nipple. I thought by pressing on his gum and causing a little bit of discomfort, it would discourage him from biting me (at the advice of a friend). It would stop him from biting me only for the moment. Although he disliked what i was doing, he would bite me more consistently! Finally one day he kept on doing it and so i kept on with the negative-reinforcement. He disliked it very much. Later in that evening when i went to nurse him, he refused! Now I am so regretful at what i did, because now it seems that he is afraid to nurse!! I keep on trying, but he will only nurse when he is asleep! He acts as if he wants to nurse. He grabs my top and pulls it down, he says "num-num" (that is what he says when he wants to nurse). Then when i show him my breast he flinches away and even cries! HOW DO I GET MY CHILD BACK ON MY BREAST AND NOT SCARED??

Default Re: Help with breast refusal

Oh, Mama, how sad!!!

This link on nursing strikes may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html In particular, doing as much skin-to-skin cuddle time as possible may be useful. The more you can get your LO to think of the breast as a nice, relaxing place to be, the more he'll forget those negative associations.

Next time he bites, just gently end the nursing session, put him down, and say "No biting." He'll figure it out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Help with breast refusal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Oh, Mama, how sad!!!

This link on nursing strikes may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html In particular, doing as much skin-to-skin cuddle time as possible may be useful. The more you can get your LO to think of the breast as a nice, relaxing place to be, the more he'll forget those negative associations.

Next time he bites, just gently end the nursing session, put him down, and say "No biting." He'll figure it out.
    Thank you. Yes, actually later that evening i had stopped what i was doing and just started to take him off the breast and say "no biting". But i guess it was a little to late. I have been dong this ever since and it seems like he is getting a little better, but he still has not taken the breast back. he will grab it for a minute (and bite it!) and then let go. But i keep on trying, even though it is painful. Who knew this could be so emotionally draining!
    Some better news...this morning i tried to make a kind of playful situation out of it..and he played a long for a bit. And he actually grabbed on a few times for a second without biting me!!